none
Can I re-use a copy of Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a copy of Windows 7 for a PC I was building. Unfortunately, a power surge put paid to that PC, so what I want to know is, can I re-use the Windows 7 key on a new PC I am building? It seems ridiculous that I have a copy of Windows 7 that, although original, is receiving no use.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 2:14 AM

Answers

• You shouldn't have a problem - although you may need to use telephone activation, simply explain the problem to the operator, and they should allow the license transfer.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:45 AM

All replies

• If you have a genuine edition of Windows 7, you can reinstall again on the same computer.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, May 5, 2013 3:18 AM
  • You shouldn't have a problem - although you may need to use telephone activation, simply explain the problem to the operator, and they should allow the license transfer.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Thank you - that makes complete sense. I appreciate your advice.
    Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:57 PM
  • That is the problem - it won't be the same computer, as I'm rebuilding the PC from scratch, albeit I'm using a lot of parts from the original.
    Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:58 PM
  • The critical part is the motherboard.

If your license is an OEM one, then changing the motherboard may breach the terms of the license - and it's up to MS whether they allow it or not. (Generally, they will NOT allow it for machines bought from major manufacturers with Windows pre-installed, but may allow it for self-build)

If it's a full Retail on, then you're fine and shouldn't have a problem.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:03 PM