Carelessly Deleted Files on my Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I carelessly deleted several folders of photos on my Windows Home server. When I go to the root folder properties, I do not have any previous versions listed. Also, there is nothing in my WHS recycle bin nor are the deleted files/folders in my client workstation recycle bin.

1. How do I recover these deleted files on the WHS. (If they had been on my workstation, the backup would have provided the source)
    2. How do I turn on the VSS for being able to recover previous versions of files and folders.

NOTE: Yes, I am adding a drive for WHS backup..sigh
    Rich Moberly
    rmoberly@swbell.net
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 7:59 PM

Answers

• I carelessly deleted several folders of photos on my Windows Home server. When I go to the root folder properties, I do not have any previous versions listed. Also, there is nothing in my WHS recycle bin nor are the deleted files/folders in my client workstation recycle bin.

1. How do I recover these deleted files on the WHS. (If they had been on my workstation, the backup would have provided the source)

Unfortunately, you can't.  There is no such thing as a network Recycle Bin on any MS OS and Previous Versions doesn't function properly on WHS.

2. How do I turn on the VSS for being able to recover previous versions of files and folders.

It can be done, but it's unsupported and as I said before, it does have issues.  Having said that, I do use it on mine and have been for some time.  See How to regain access to previous version of files in WHS shares for details.

NOTE: Yes, I am adding a drive for WHS backup..sigh
    Rich Moberly
    rmoberly@swbell.net

Monday, January 4, 2010 2:28 AM