Microsoft Update Office Genuine Advantage error message when logging in RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows XP Professional SP3 fully updated and Office 2003 SP3 fully updated. These are legal licenses: Windows XP from MSDN and Office 2003 that I received from a Microsoft promotion. I have the original install disks and product keys for the install discs.

An hour ago I installed the most recent updates from Microsoft (not Windows) Update. Now each time I log in (not reboot - log in) I receive an error message from the newly installed Office Genuine Advantage module that the module has failed. I send the error log to Microsoft as requested. The technical details of the error log are:

Error signature
    szAppName : OGAEXEC.exe     szAppVer : 2.0.48.0     szModName : ntdll.dll    
    szModVer : 5.1.2600.5755     offset : 0002cede    

I ran the utility software mentioned at the top of this forum. My Office license is valid. Here's the output from this utility:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-QX7YD
    Windows Product Key Hash: 0C99QYwrVrlba2VOXJa1RxEjqFg=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-337-1328975-22584
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {DC6F729D-4CED-48E9-9CF3-BE236862BD09}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{DC6F729D-4CED-48E9-9CF3-BE236862BD09}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-QX7YD</PKey><PID>55274-337-1328975-22584</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1708537768-1614895754-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.</Manufacturer><Model>P35-DS3P</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F11</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080721000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>8ED7328701847A6B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>AFE0E7B9E915DDC</Val><Hash>eBLpSpKMau9BEHC0hIZRWPjVQT0=</Hash><Pid>70145-750-8133607-57567</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 14020:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|14020:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|14020:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I've also run Microsoft's online validation tools for Windows and Office. The Microsoft tool reports that both are genuine.

What's up?

Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• I updated my system as well yesterday and have the following error

OGAEXEC.exe - Application Error The Instruction at "0x7c92cede" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. Click cancel to debug the program.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Do I have a problem here or will Microsoft update the update...?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:19 AM
  • Hello Gino to you and MemoryLane,

Please create a (no cost) Support Request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for assistance with issie.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Monday, August 31, 2009 5:58 PM
  • I have the same problem on my computer. Last week, I have already created a support request for assistance but I did not get any answer back. However it was promised me to reply within 1 working day.
    Can anyone help me with this problem.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:34 PM
  • FYI: I have the same OGAEXEC.exe problem. I have posted a support request.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:31 AM
  • After installing the MS September 2009 Updates, now whenever I boot up my laptop I also get the same error:

OGAEXEC.exe - Application Error The Instruction at "0x7c92cede" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. Click cancel to debug the program.

If I enter either OK or Cancel then the computer seems to run properly afterwards.

Any ideas on how to resolve it ?

• Proposed as answer by kaf ousman Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:38 PM
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Hello Bernie-DBA,

Please create a (no cost) Support Request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for assistance with issue.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:55 PM
  • - had exactly same problem. I don't know how far you have got with MS support but they pointed me in the right direction.

It may be better if moderator refers you to the "help desk" to confirm what to do as this is a summary;
    - Removed OGAEXEC files. Reboot and clean up registry with commercial software. THis solved the above error but introduced a new one ( or realised a new one ) on IE 8 . Went to validate Office thru' the microsoft.com/genuine site using IE8 not Firefox, but IE8 locked up when tryign to download the ActiveX control to run the OGA software - another memory error message.
    Close and reload IE8, goto TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/ADVANCED/Security. Uncheck "Enable Memory protection to help mitigate online attacks", Apply/OK. Close and reload IE 8 goto microsoft.com/genuine and ran Validate Office - worked OK !!
    Go back and check the "enable memory protection" just in case.

THis has worked for me hopefully for you too, if you are unsure about removing the OGAEXEC files may be better to refer to help desk (?)

I think this is originally a bad install of the OGAEXEC.exe but who knows ??

On the way to this I ran anti-malware from MALWAREBytes whcih picked up a couple of files that antivirus hadn't.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:21 AM
  • I have received support from Microsoft right away and it solved the problem.
    Here's the fix that worked for me:
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Scheduled Tasks.
    2. Right click OGALogon.job and delete it.
    3. Restart the computer
    • Proposed as answer by Flaves Friday, September 18, 2009 10:34 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:05 PM
  • 1. Click "Start"-> "Control Panel"-> Double-click Scheduled Tasks

3. Restart the computer

Can we resolve the issue? If the issue persists, I would like to confirm if the error message occurs in Clean Boot, if so, please collect the detailed system information using the steps below:

Use "Everest" to collect the System Information.

===============================

1. Please download and install "Everest" from the following address:

http://www.box.net/shared/zzjq9t9m3m ;

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Double click "Everestcorporate420.exe" to launch the software.

3. Then, click "Report" -> "Report Wizard" -> click "next" -> select "All pages" and click "next" -> select "HTML" and click "Finish"

4. After the process is finished, please click "Save To File" to save the file to Desktop.

After this submit the file to Microsoft Windows Support Professional to get the solution..

Thats it..

If still it dosn't work.....Don't blame me.....

Thanx..

Friday, September 18, 2009 10:44 AM
  • Your solution resolved my problem.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Thank you very much. This solution solved the problem.

Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:26 AM
  • 1. Click "Start"-> "Control Panel"-> Double-click Scheduled Tasks

3. Restart the computer

THIS HERE WORK JUST FINE FOR ME - THANX

Monday, October 5, 2009 9:30 AM
  • I updated my system as well yesterday and have the following error

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Do I have a problem here or will Microsoft update the update...?

It resulted from a misunderstanding about the output of API ADVAPI32!GetSecurityDescriptorDacl.
    OGAEXEC.exe called GetFileSecurity to get the SecurityDescriptor of the file "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Office Genuine Advantage\data\odataext.dat", and then called GetSecurityDescriptorDacl to get the DACL in it. After calling GetSecurityDescriptorDacl, OGAEXEC.exe tested the lpbDaclPresent parameter. If lpbDaclPresent turned out to be TRUE, it immediately called GetAclInformation with the pDacl value got from GetSecurityDescriptorDacl.
    But actually, according to MSDN, "A value of TRUE for lpbDaclPresent does not mean that pDacl is not NULL. That is, lpbDaclPresent can be TRUE while pDacl is NULL, meaning that a NULL DACL is in effect. A NULL DACL implicitly allows all access to an object". It's exactly what happened in our system. OGAEXEC.exe didn't consider this situation.
    So with a NULL pDacl value, calling GetAclInformation caused a access violation.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:10 PM
    3. Restart the computer
    It's just so easy when you can come on a forum like this and get your answer.
    It's so simple. Now why didn't I think of that, instead of deleting my temp folder!
    Thanks halinagold!
    • Proposed as answer by Sydney2 Friday, April 2, 2010 10:20 AM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Thankyou So much. Presto! Fixed!
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Thank You Very Much,It's Fixed.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:32 PM
  • This is another solution!

2. Right click OGALogon.job and click properties.
    3. There will be a check box that says Enabled(scheduled task run a specific times)

4. un check that box and hit apply and hit okay.

5. it should say in the column schedule disabled. restart your computer and it should work fine. (I personally think this is better because your not removing it so other errors may not appear). 

Monday, May 10, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Thanks it worked...!
    Monday, September 6, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Hello Gino to you and MemoryLane,

Please create a (no cost) Support Request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for assistance with issie.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Bet you get paid well for this ____ advice, bring on the trumpets. tool
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:55 AM
    3. Restart the computer

Thank you! this solved the error report by me to.

Hope that microsoft learns for this kind off mis programming.

There response is none on this error zo glad there ae people like you that share info on the internet with us.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:30 PM