Updates are painful every time RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to turn off Updates to the OneCare program?

I'm satisfied with how it works now and I'm not interested in having to uninstall and reinstall it one at least one of my computers each time there's an upgrade.

One would hope Microsoft would know how to update their program on their own operating system, but maybe that's expecting too much.

I would like to get virus updates, and just not get new program features at the cost of upgrade problems.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 8:11 PM

Answers

• Every One Care product upgrade is thoroughly tested by a large pool of beta testers before release to the world to ensure a seamless product upgrade. Even with extensive testing it is not possible to test every hardware and software configuration so occasionally an upgrade will fail. Since you have experienced this on more than one occasion I suggest contacting support to help find a resolution to this issue. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:33 PM

All replies

• Every One Care product upgrade is thoroughly tested by a large pool of beta testers before release to the world to ensure a seamless product upgrade. Even with extensive testing it is not possible to test every hardware and software configuration so occasionally an upgrade will fail. Since you have experienced this on more than one occasion I suggest contacting support to help find a resolution to this issue. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:33 PM
  • At the risk of sounding flippant, the only way to turn off updates to OneCare is to remove it and use another product. OneCare is a subscription product that requires updates to the definitions, engine and program to remain a useful program, providing the best protection possible. I'm sorry to read that you have encountered problems with each update. I do have to wonder why that is and what about your system or systems are causing the problems. I have OneCare running on multiple systems, both XP and Vista, including my wife's PC (which I stay away from) and I have to say that I have not encountered any issues with updates in ages.

-steve

Friday, July 11, 2008 12:14 PM
  • I gave up on Norton and McAfee years ago because I spent more time keeping them running than I have ever lost to a virus or other malware.  Except during upgrades, OneCare is very nice about doing whatever it is doing without bugging me.  It would be nice if it would ask if it's a good time for an upgrade before popping up the "I'm upgrading, don't turn off your computer message".

All my computers are from Dell, running XP Pro, current with all the updates from Microsoft Update, and have plenty of spare disk space.  What I have had to do for some of the updates is:

1) Uninstall OneCare from Add or Remove Programs

2) Wait for the uninstall to hang when about 80% done and then kill msiexec.exe in the Task Manager.

3) Wait for the uninstall to complete (apparently killing msiexec.exe only kills part of the uninstall).

4) Run OneCareCleanup.exe (so it will be more completely uninstalled)

5) Reinstall OneCare

I've contacted support about this, which is how I got OneCareCleanup.exe.  Each time it happens I hope it's a one time event.  Some of my computers have never had the problem.

Even with this problem, I prefer OneCare over the others because it doesn't frequently ask if it's OK to reboot first thing in the morning like Norton did and it's designed to make me feel like things are under control.  I think Norton and McAfee have a goal of making everyone think their computers are extremely vulnerable and fragile.

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:29 PM