Recovery programs RRS feed

• Question

• I deleted some photos that were stored on my windows home server. Can anyone suggest a recovery software that I can use that will work on Windows Home Server?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:27 PM

Answers

• You will need to run whatever recovery program you choose on the individual drives, not on the shares. Also, because of the way your server uses it's drives, you may want to shut it down until you've gone through whatever recovery effort you decide on.

You will probably want to do recover from a single drive at a time, removing the drive from the server, connecting it to another computer, and using your recovery software (any reasonable recovery software will do) to see if you can find the missing files on that drive. Once you've found them, move them to another drive (i.e. remove them from the location where they were found, which should be <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc.), then reinstall that drive and move on to the next.

Once you've found all files, restart your server and ocpy the files back to their proper locations in the shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by KneoMattrix Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:32 PM

All replies

• You will need to run whatever recovery program you choose on the individual drives, not on the shares. Also, because of the way your server uses it's drives, you may want to shut it down until you've gone through whatever recovery effort you decide on.

You will probably want to do recover from a single drive at a time, removing the drive from the server, connecting it to another computer, and using your recovery software (any reasonable recovery software will do) to see if you can find the missing files on that drive. Once you've found them, move them to another drive (i.e. remove them from the location where they were found, which should be <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc.), then reinstall that drive and move on to the next.

Once you've found all files, restart your server and ocpy the files back to their proper locations in the shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by KneoMattrix Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Please try:

1. on a client browse to folder that contained the photos

2. right click the folder, select properties, then select previous versions tab

3. find the latest version of this folder, open, then copy the folders to your desktop or another location

Please note on WHS this will in general only work for folders in shares which have duplication enabled. Reboot may result in loss of the previous versions. If you have not enabled duplication for the shares you could try the method outlined overhere, or try and use a file recovery programme

If there's no previous versions listed please try PC Inspector file recovery from Convar. It's free and fairly easy to use and I've found it useful on a number of occasions.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:27 AM