Continuation of error after patch RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Paul -

After installing the patch provided, I receive the error message in PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Access:

Error found in Custom UI XML of "Office Genuine Advantage Add-In"

Line: 1
    Column: 101
    Error Code 0x80004005
    Failed to find Office control by ID
    ID: TabSmartArtToolsDesign

and several variations of the ID: line after.

Bizarrely, MS Outlook seems to be behaving ok now (it had the error before).

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Greg Montez
    University of California

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:57 PM

Answers

•  

Please do the following:

Go to your Windows\System32 directory (likely c:\Windows\System32 or, if you are running 64 bit Windows, c:\Windows\SysWOW64).  Find OGAAddin.dll.  Right click and select properties.  Go to the Details tab.  Identify the version (it will be either 1.7.102.0 or 1.7.104.0) and the language.

If it is 1.7.102.0, then it will cause this issue.  The issue was fixed in 1.7.104.0.  If it is the case that you have version 1.7.102.0, then close all office applications and make sure you install the version of the patch appropriate for the language of OGAAddin.dll you have installed (ENU for English US, ES for Spanish, TRK for Turkish, or ITA for Italian).  If you are prompted to reboot when installing the patch, do so.  Then, recheck the details of OGAAddin.dll.  The version should now be 1.7.104.0.  If it is not, please let me know, as this would indicate an installer issue.  If it is the newer version, then open Word, ensure that the debugging flag is checked in Word options that triggers this bug, and verify that the messages have gone away.  If they have not, then somehow you are still loading the older control and we will need to do further diagnosis, as Vista has some backwards compatibility features that could potentially create a sideline copy of a system32 file and preferentially load that one instead of the official one and we will need to ensure that the older copy is removed.

Let me know what the result is, and thank you for your time.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:17 PM