WGA removes blocked VLK? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my p.c second hand and because a company owned it before I obviously have a blocked vlk and an invalid key, will purchasing a WGA definatly mean all will be well with my copy of windows? xp pro that is.

thanks.

edit: in other words will this copy be mine? and is it likely to work properly with regards to updates etc? 

Saturday, October 7, 2006 2:41 PM

Answers

• Keith007,

Is the computer a name-brand computer?  Does the computer have a Certificate of Authenticity on it?  If so, for what version/edition of Windows is it?  If it has a genuine COA, the computer is most likely still licensed to run the version/edition of Windows described on the COA.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 6:16 PM

All replies

• Keith007,

Is the computer a name-brand computer?  Does the computer have a Certificate of Authenticity on it?  If so, for what version/edition of Windows is it?  If it has a genuine COA, the computer is most likely still licensed to run the version/edition of Windows described on the COA.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 6:16 PM
  • unfortunately not, no coa available to me. all i would like from someone is a simple yes or no answer. will purchasing a new key remove the blocked vlk staus? thanx for takin the time to reply dan.

keith.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 9:18 AM
  • Keith007,

I was asking because often larger companies buy name brand computers with XP preinstalled, then buy their Volume Licenses and use them.  When they sell the computer, the original license is almost always still good, so if that were the case you would not have to buy anything except maybe a recovery CD if you did not get one with the computer.

To answer your original question, the WGA (really it is the "Genuine Windows Offer" kit) kit is a Product Key (PK) emailed to you shortly after your online purchase, and a physical CD that is mailed to you that you should receive within about 2 weeks of purchase.  The license is a full retail license for the edition of XP that you have installed, and for most people with pirated installations that would be XP Pro.  A full retail license is the most flexible license for XP available---unlike an OEM license, you can move full retail licenses from any computer to any computer an unlimited number of times, and unlike an upgrade license, there is no requirement that some earlier vesion of Windows be available to be upgraded.

In order to use your GWO PK to "genuine-ize" the pirated installation of XP you have now, you download and run the Key Updater Utility found at this web page:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx  The Utility needs to have full access to the internet to communicate with MS servers so it can verify about 6,000 files, so if you have personal firewall or antivirus programs that control internet access or the running of scripts on the computer, you will want to make sure they do not hinder the Utility.  The Utility will also not work if your computer is behind a proxy server, which would be common if the computer were on a major corporate or school network.  Most home users won't have to worry about proxy servers.  If the key files of your installed XP are not hacked and cracked too much, the utility will be able to "genuine-ize" it.  If not, that's what the CD is for, to do either a repair or clean installation.

Hope this answers your question!

Sunday, October 8, 2006 4:41 PM