View Backup stalls out at 81%, then gives error message RRS feed

• Question

• I have a mediasmart server EX470 and have noticed that when I try to view the backup, I get an error: cannot connect to the backup service on the server... I have applied service pack 1 to my home server.

I have attempted to open this backup from both a vista 64bit system and windows xp - in all attempts I have been an administrator. I can open other backups for files that are less than 100 GB. I have made sure that I modified the system policy so that any administrator can  open files. This was in a KB article that I found concerning the error.

My question is is this a defect or could my home server not have adequate memory to carry out the task. I believe I saw in the release notes that this was a known issue in service pack 1.

thanks
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:51 AM

Answers

• mesipro said:

I have a mediasmart server EX470 and have noticed that when I try to view the backup, I get an error: cannot connect to the backup service on the server... I have applied service pack 1 to my home server.

I have attempted to open this backup from both a vista 64bit system and windows xp - in all attempts I have been an administrator. I can open other backups for files that are less than 100 GB. I have made sure that I modified the system policy so that any administrator can  open files. This was in a KB article that I found concerning the error.

My question is is this a defect or could my home server not have adequate memory to carry out the task. I believe I saw in the release notes that this was a known issue in service pack 1.

thanks

The 79%/81% backup error is an error that occasionally occurs.  First, you should file a bug report on Connect (and wait for MS to see if they can help you).  The other option would be to try repairing/deleting the backup database.
    • Marked as answer by mesipro Friday, February 6, 2009 3:21 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:01 AM

All replies

• mesipro said:

I have a mediasmart server EX470 and have noticed that when I try to view the backup, I get an error: cannot connect to the backup service on the server... I have applied service pack 1 to my home server.

thanks

The 79%/81% backup error is an error that occasionally occurs.  First, you should file a bug report on Connect (and wait for MS to see if they can help you).  The other option would be to try repairing/deleting the backup database.
    • Marked as answer by mesipro Friday, February 6, 2009 3:21 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Okay. I went to the connect site and I see that others have posted. Since it appears to be a common issue it looks like they don't want a new issue opened. I did however add comments to the open issue. I may still see if adding more memory to me home server makes a difference.

thanks for your reply.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:21 AM
  • mesipro said:

Okay. I went to the connect site and I see that others have posted. Since it appears to be a common issue it looks like they don't want a new issue opened.

Yes, they do want a new bug report for every instance.  Just because it may appear to be the same as another bug report, it may not be.  Please file a new bug report.

mesipro said:

I did however add comments to the open issue. I may still see if adding more memory to me home server makes a difference.

thanks for your reply.

Also, there was an update that came out last week for WHS relating to backups (although I don't believe it would have anything to do with your situation).  Is your server completely up-to-date?
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:53 AM
  • I heard about the new patch that HP put out, but my server does not detect it. I have tried several times over several days. I even made the mistake of running it at the server. It installed but then I could only connect remotely. I uninstalled it and had to rebuild the backup database because it got corrupted.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 12:48 AM
  • I'm getting this same issue.  I tried repairing the backup database, but that didn't help.

In my case, it began after I was trying to restore some files from a backup and the client PC (Win 7 beta) BSOD'd.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 6:23 AM
  • Hi. I had some old backups for a computer no longer on my network. I deleted it and then noticed that I could open one of my backups for my vista machine. I was totally shocked. I had tried a different backup and it gave me errors. I was prompted to reboot my server as I had some driver issue. When I rebooted the server I could open one of my backups for the vista. I don't know if it is hit and miss or if there are other issues going on.

There is a thread on the connect site for this same issue that is active. You might want to add it to your monitor list. I think in a previous post to this thread someone gave the link.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 2:20 AM