none
Restore Tombstone Markers RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS system drive failed.  I replaced the drive and reinstalled using the Recover System installation option.  After the WHS installation completed, all my shares were empty.  After a bit of panic, I found that all my files are still available under the C:\fs directory even though they don't show up in the actual shares.  Is there some way to rebuild the shares so that the files show up in their proper locations?  Is it OK to manually copy them from the C:\fs folders back into the shares?  That would take a VERY long time, but is do-able, I suppose.
    Douglas McLaughlin
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 4:51 AM

Answers

• It sounds to me like the drivers weren't installed properly the first time, and that caused the failure you experienced. I would really consider wiping the system drive (which should contain nothing irreplaceable at this point) and trying another reinstallation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:02 AM

All replies

• My WHS system drive failed.  I replaced the drive and reinstalled using the Recover System installation option.  After the WHS installation completed, all my shares were empty.  After a bit of panic, I found that all my files are still available under the C:\fs directory even though they don't show up in the actual shares.  Is there some way to rebuild the shares so that the files show up in their proper locations?  Is it OK to manually copy them from the C:\fs folders back into the shares?  That would take a VERY long time, but is do-able, I suppose.
    Normally one stage of the server recovery process will rebuild your tombstones. If that didn't happen, I would consider deleting the partitions on the system drive and trying again.

Can you tell us more about your server?

Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:40 PM
  • It's a custom build machine running an Asus P4B board, 2.4G P4, and 2G of RAM.  It has 6 physical drives, 5 + System, for just over 3TB.  The System drive had been in a failing state for several weeks when we had a power outage a couple days ago, I guess that put the final nail in the coffin.  During the installation process I have to supply two drivers, one for a PATA IDE card and one for the onboard SATA.  After installation, and after the Rebuild Primary failed the first time, I discovered that two of the drives were missing and I had to re-install the SATA drivers.  After I did this, and rebooted, the installation continued, and it took about half an hour going through the data recovery stage.  Even so, all the files failed to show up in the shares, even though they all still exist in C:\fs
    Douglas McLaughlin
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:19 PM
  • It sounds to me like the drivers weren't installed properly the first time, and that caused the failure you experienced. I would really consider wiping the system drive (which should contain nothing irreplaceable at this point) and trying another reinstallation.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:02 AM