Media server configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to get the media sharing side of WHS2011 working. I have two client devices; a Samsung Smart TV and an Android phone.

To begin with, I'm just trying with a handful of photos. As far as I can tell, all I have to do is put them in the 'Pictures' share, which I have done.

My WHS box appears in the server list on both devices, and I can navigate to the Pictures folder. It's just empty.

Where am I going wrong? Am I right in thinking that file/folder/share permissions aren't applicable when it comes to media sharing?

Thanks

Nick

• Edited by doctornick Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:20 PM

Answers

• That's basically correct. Make sure that "Media Streaming" is enabled in the Dashboard and that the appropriate folders are enabled. Correct, folder permissions are not applicable unless you are accessing the folders directly. Your player/TV needs to be DLNA compliant (or support Silverlight if accessing by Remote Access). Look at the online documentation for the types of media supported, but your photos should have no problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by doctornick Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:08 PM

All replies

• That's basically correct. Make sure that "Media Streaming" is enabled in the Dashboard and that the appropriate folders are enabled. Correct, folder permissions are not applicable unless you are accessing the folders directly. Your player/TV needs to be DLNA compliant (or support Silverlight if accessing by Remote Access). Look at the online documentation for the types of media supported, but your photos should have no problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by doctornick Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Thanks Phil

Restarting the server seems to have fixed it.. Why I didn't try that earlier, I have no idea..

Nick

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:11 PM