Maxtor HDDs Failure RRS feed

• General discussion

• There must be something wrong with Maxtor HDDs, because I just looked the other day, at the drive that failed in my WHS and it was a Maxtor Diamond Max 22 and then I have some other hdds that I collect when they die, sort of a small collection and they all seem to be Maxtor HDDs so is there is something wrong with them?
    HMG
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Friday, December 25, 2009 4:33 AM not a technical whs question
    Friday, December 4, 2009 11:09 AM

All replies

• I've used plenty of Maxtor HDDs during the years. No more problem with them than with other brands.
    However, I haven't use Maxtor in a while simply because the last few Maxtor drives I used where much hotter than my other drives. A hot drive is never good, so one reason that your drives are failing could be simply that they're getting to hot.
    But this is something you should always be aware of nomatter what brand you're using, keep the temperature down.

Greetings from Sweden
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Google did some research on drive failure a few years ago. (Google is probably in the top 10 for drive purchases. I would believe it if someone claimed they buy drives in shipping container lots.) While I've lost the link to the paper and I'm feeling too lazy to go find it on the Google web site :), they drew some interesting conclusions.

First and foremost in this case is that over time, and with a large initial population, all manufacturers have similar drive failure rates. A single individual will normally not purchase enough drives in their lifetime to reach a statistically valid population, though; it takes hundreds of drives to reach that point.

Juvenile failure (dying in hours to days to maybe a week or two) is pretty common. If the drive survives that, it will usually spin for years.

Negative S.M.A.R.T. indicators are a reasonable indicator of drive health. If onboard diagnostics say a drive is unhealthy you should believe them.

Positive S.M.A.R.T. indicators are a poor indicator of drive health. Even though onboard diagnostics say your drive is in fine shape, it could fail (with no warning at all) tomorrow.

Drive temperature, as long as the drive is within spec, is unimportant. If the manufacturer says "25° C to 55° C" and the drive temperature is 54.5° C, don't worry about it. Extremely high or low is bad (so don't cool your drives to below ambient, or run then at the boiling point of water), but occasional and slight variances are unimportant.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:27 PM
  • is there anything I can do to cool them down other than using case fans?
    HMG
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Anything you can do to other heat producing components in a PC, you can do to a disk drive if you're willing to do a little research and maybe some fabrication. So water cooling, for starters. You can also refrigerate them in various ways. I don't recommend using liquid nitrogen...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:55 PM