Major issues? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok googled everything. went to microsoft.com/genuine got error message 0x80080101, hit validate again got, 0x80080299, tried the manual install, browsed the forums for hours, cant get to windowsupdate, cant do microsoft update, cant download or install any genuine products, they all fail, tried repair of windows, went through the whole "are you legit" thing.

Help?

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4MKMB-4YRXB-FJBPY
    Windows Product Key Hash: NDnPAHXAn0c08pSq7oRWqoo3JY8=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2155404-56308
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 44c3d889-cd95-4538-a518-aa2808c03f8e
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.554.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.20.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-252-800401f3_16E0B333-57-800401f3_B4D0AA8B-910-800401f3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:38 AM

Answers

• Jason:

Its hard to say what exactly is happening without actually sitting at your machine. Good news is you're genuine at least!

Do you have your OEM System Builder CD? I would suggest doing a recovery installation of windows (so you can keep your original files and settings). Otherwise, I'm flat out of ideas what may be happening with your PC.

Sorry, but there isn't much we can do here :(

You can contact support at www.support.microsoft.com for a 35$ charge (since you're using an OEM version) as well.

-phil

Friday, February 9, 2007 4:22 AM

All replies

• When trying to run the Windows Genuine Advantage validation check located on the Windows Update web site, you receive the following error code: "0x80080299" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919868

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:46 AM
  • Yep. tried that too. I think my only solution to get this fixed is a Format and Reload. I have tried all the error codes I have found, both on Microsofts website and Google. the only thing that I am questioning is a MSXML3.DLL error, not sure if that has anything to do with this whole validation thing or not, so yeah, anyone have a miracle they can pull out of their hat?
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 6:12 PM
  • Hi Jason,

I had this same problem today - couldn't use Windows Update and kept getting errors when I tried to use the WGA validation. I also had problems using my Search in Windows Explorer. I was pulling my hair out, but I found a fix, and it's related to your MSXML3.dll observation  - I went to Start, Run, and entered regsvr32 MSXML3.dll  to re-register the .dll file, and suddenly everything started working again. I hope this helps you too!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Yeah, I have tried that too, it fails, with another error code, I don't have that code off the top of my head right now, but it failed. I extracted the file from repair console to the \system32 directory, rebooted and tried it again, and same error. One computer problem I have not been able to repair myself (with the help of google and support.microsoft.com) its just been a pain in the butt...
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 7:02 PM
  • Jason:

From the looks of your diagnostics output, it looks like your MSXML engine isn't running at all (the diagnostics tool usually tests that by placing XML output at the end).

I would suggest going to www.download.microsoft.com and searching for the MSXML parser (latest should be ver 6.0).

-phil

Thursday, February 8, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Phil,

Thanks for the suggestion, at first it wouldn't install cause I didn't installer 3.1 in there, after a bit of fighting with that, I got installer 3.1 in there, and then I installed the xml parser, not sure if it does everything automatically, or if there is some command to run afterwards but after the install of it, it didn't work, tried a reboot, still no workie, automatic updates are working now, which is kinda good, but I have a feeling installing them is going to fail.

Any other suggestions?

Jason
    Friday, February 9, 2007 12:21 AM
  • Jason:

Its hard to say what exactly is happening without actually sitting at your machine. Good news is you're genuine at least!

Do you have your OEM System Builder CD? I would suggest doing a recovery installation of windows (so you can keep your original files and settings). Otherwise, I'm flat out of ideas what may be happening with your PC.

Sorry, but there isn't much we can do here :(

You can contact support at www.support.microsoft.com for a 35$ charge (since you're using an OEM version) as well.

-phil

Friday, February 9, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Phil,

Glad to know I'm not the only one stumped. I have tried the recovery install, it fails reading some files after the first reboot, I did all the hardware checks I could, nothing fails (I know you didn't say anything bout that but just an info you) I really don't think support could help me with this problem, if all the web cant find anything I honestly don't think support has anything different.  I appriciate all your help on this and I think I will just tell the customer they need to format and reload. (might try that on a new HDD anyways just to see if it works or not)

Thanks again

Jason
    Friday, February 9, 2007 6:37 PM