Windows Phone 7 Connector for Windows Phone 7 - Can't stream video? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys - Been using WP7 for a while and just installed the RC Windows phone 7 connector and phone app. All installed successfullly and everything works great (alerts, pictures, music, etC) but I can't get streaming video going? I can browse to my server remotely from another browser and connection and stream video to a PC fine - but can't stream to my phone? Have tried connecting to the same local network via Wifi, and also other networks via 3g / Wifi. Phone is a HTC T8697 Mozart running OS 4392. WHS is a HP Proliant ML310 G5 and fully patched.

Any ideas on what to check? Have tried resetting the phone, reinstalling the app and connector and no luck?

Thanks - Chris

Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:40 AM

All replies

• Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:51 AM
  • I have the same problem, the server shows me the video with a preview picture of the video, but will not steam. Media not supported. The media is AVI.

I even uploaded a video taken with my phone to the server and tried to stream that back to the phone with the same error.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:02 PM
  • I too have a problem streaming video to my phone. Has anyone found a solution to this?
    Friday, July 29, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I cannot stream Video with my WP7 and have found that although all communication between the WP7 and the WHS2011 is using secure port 443, when a video is requested to be streamed, the WP7 send an unsolicited request to the WHS2011 using port 80.

In my environment, port 80 is serviced by a Web Server, and so the unsolicited "play" request is routed to the incorrect server and the streaming fails. If the request used the secure port 443 as all other request communications do, the streaming would be successful.

I seems an oversight to me that the WP7 uses secure port 443 for all other communications, with the exception of the request to "stream".

All other WHS2011 functions on the WP7 work correctly. There are no difficulties displaying the video libraries, and the associated artwork. Just that requesting to actually play the media, results in the unsolicited port 80 call.

Monday, August 8, 2011 10:40 AM
  • (from another post, but relevant to get videos to stream)

I have battled this for awhile now. I think I *FINALLY* have it figured out. And, for me, it was not WP7 or WHS 2011, but the confusing array of codecs.

Using Handbrake, the magic sauce was to convert to a High profile MP4 video, and use the following overrides to the default settings:

1) Audio needs to be mixed down to be Stereo (not dolby)

2) Checkbox next to "Web optimized" MUST be checked, or else it will not stream.

I tried another tool other than Handbrake, it did not have the web optimized setting and screwed up the interlacing for some videos. Handbrake is the way to go to get your videos in shape. And I've since learned, you MUST store the original MPG full copy of the video somewhere safe, if not on WHS (due to the size) at least somewhere else to let you recode it without spinning discs in and out forever.

I hope this helps others trying to stream videos to their Xbox 360, WP7, and other places using WHS 2011 :>

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:04 AM