Problems Opening BU To Restore Files - Win 10 & Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

In Win 10, tried to open a backup to copy device drivers. Opening volume proceeds to 82%. Then get BLUE SCREEN - STOP CODE BAD_POOL_HEADER. Search suggested to disable 8.3 name creation. Made no difference - still got BSOD.

Decided to try a different computer BU. In Win 7, opening volume proceeds to 82%. Then get message "The restore process did not succeed. The system cannot find the path specified. Then a message appears on the desktop "You need to format the disk in Drive H: before you can use it." I don't have a drive H: on the computer (or I didn't until running restore). Search suggested automount disabled, so I enabled automount. Made no difference - restore still did not succeed.

Any help/insight into these two issues would be appreciated.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Windows 7/10 client failed to have an restoration from backups which are created by WHS 2011.

On WHS 2011, please check client backup status, reference below steps:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/view-backup-status-2(v=ws.11).aspx

Besides, please try to create a bootable USB flash drive to restore a client computer:
    Dashboard - Computers and Backup - Additional client computer backup - Tools - Create key in the Computer recovery – Insert a 512 MB or larger USB flash drive in the server, and then follow the instructions in the wizard.

Using the Full System Restore wizard:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system-restore(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Hi! Eve,

Thanks for the reply. Apparently I did not describe the problem well, so I will try again.

I have backups that have successfully completed. I logged into Dashboard from the client computer. In Computers and Backup window, I highlighted the client computer. On the right side of that screen, I clicked on the link "Restore files or folders for the server". This should have brought up the files, folders and other data in the Backup selected. As stated above, a screen appears saying "Opening volume" and it proceeds to 82%. At that point, I get a BLUE SCREEN with STOP CODE BAD_POOL_HEADER.

I hope this clarifies the problem. (In regards to your reply, the client backup status is "successful". Running the repair tool on client computer backups produced "no problems found". I created a bootable USB flash drive, but I am trying to find particular files/folders to restore - not restore the whole system. The USB drive is not used. As an aside, I did try to boot using a newly created USB drive. I received an exception error 0XC0000025. Normally it would boot up, try to find the server, have me log in and select a backup to restore.)

Regards,

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Friday, May 12, 2017 3:09 AM
  • Hi!

The process described - "Restore files or folders for the server" - works as it should on client computers running Windows 7. The process does NOT work on client computers running Windows 10! On Windows 10 clients, the result is a BLUE SCREEN with STOP CODE BAD_POOL_HEADER.

Any thoughts on how to get this working on Windows 10 machines?

Regards,

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:39 PM