how do you handle invalid references in w/f's? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - How do you handle "invalid references" in CRM?  Here's a screenshot with an example of a w/f with 2 invalid references:

http://sdrv.ms/1631WeM

The steps are simply single line inputs with a short description, and no other information, so there doesn't seem to be much I can do with them? I'm assuming that the step logic is completely contained in the step, so if there's an X next to it, it's essentially corrupt and the underlying implementation is lost?  Is this correct?  Or is there a way to identify the specific logic in the step that's broken, so I can try to fix it?
    Friday, September 6, 2013 12:00 AM

Answers

• The 'X' means there is an incomplete step. In this case my guess is that there is a required field on the E-mail form that has not been entered.

The 'X' will bubble up through all the parent steps, which is why it appears the stage has an error as well, but it is only the E-mail in this case.

If you've imported a workflow from another system, and the workflow sets a lookup to a static value (such as a particular team/queue as the owner or sender of an email). Upon importing the workflow into another system, the references will be broken, and the workflows deactivated. In this case you need to open the workflow step, and fix any of the unresolved lookups. They will appear as a lookup with quotation marks around the name, and clicking them will not take you to a valid record.

Hope that helps

Paul

P.S. Remember to mark replies as answer if they actually answer your question.

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:02 AM

All replies

• The 'X' means there is an incomplete step. In this case my guess is that there is a required field on the E-mail form that has not been entered.

The 'X' will bubble up through all the parent steps, which is why it appears the stage has an error as well, but it is only the E-mail in this case.

If you've imported a workflow from another system, and the workflow sets a lookup to a static value (such as a particular team/queue as the owner or sender of an email). Upon importing the workflow into another system, the references will be broken, and the workflows deactivated. In this case you need to open the workflow step, and fix any of the unresolved lookups. They will appear as a lookup with quotation marks around the name, and clicking them will not take you to a valid record.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:02 AM

Hope that helps

Paul

Paul is correct here. Just to add to the static lookups, it is sometimes a good idea to migrate data across systems so they maintain the same GUID values. This will help prevent any broken workflow steps in the future.

Please feel free to contact me using the following methods

Monday, September 9, 2013 10:28 AM
  • Thanks Paul, you were exactly right.  The X's were caused by the email form using a From that did not exist.  Thanks!

Monday, September 9, 2013 8:40 PM