Windows Activation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• OK so i have a dell laptop as well as a sony vaio laptop......The sony vaio laptop messed up (just had a blank screen when i turned it on)...i dont have any of the orginal disc for the sony so outta curiousity i decided to try the operating disc from my dell on my sony...It worked i got windows back on ..and went to sony website and installed the drivers for the sony....however i get a message saying i have 30 days to activate my copy of windows i tried the product key on the back of both the dell n sony...I am guessing after researching since the product key is tied to my dell this is why it wont activate on the sony...If i call and do the activation by phone...will they beable to help me activate? will it effect my dell? or do i need to by a retail copy of windows xp for my sony
    Monday, February 7, 2011 6:39 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you cannot activate a Dell  OEM SLP Windows XP operating system license on a Sony computer that was installed using a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD.  You will need to contact Sony Support and ask them for a Sony OEM Windows XP recovery disc, then refomat your hard drive and install the proper Sony OEM Windows XP operating system.

Please see: How to purchase recovery CD/DVDs for  Sony computer products

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:29 AM
    Monday, February 7, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Hello Pamela87,

Carey is correct in that the much-preferred solution is to order the recovery discs from Sony and install.

However, in the event that Sony no longer stocks recovery discs for your model, you might want to check with www.restoredisks.com.

You could also try the Product Key Updater Utility to see if it can "genuine-ize" your current installation by changing to the product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity that's on your Sony computer.  It might work if both the Dell disc and the Sony CoA are for the same edition (both are Home, or both are Pro, etc) of Windows XP.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:37 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you cannot activate a Dell  OEM SLP Windows XP operating system license on a Sony computer that was installed using a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD.  You will need to contact Sony Support and ask them for a Sony OEM Windows XP recovery disc, then refomat your hard drive and install the proper Sony OEM Windows XP operating system.

Please see: How to purchase recovery CD/DVDs for  Sony computer products

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:29 AM
    Monday, February 7, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Hello Pamela87,

Carey is correct in that the much-preferred solution is to order the recovery discs from Sony and install.

However, in the event that Sony no longer stocks recovery discs for your model, you might want to check with www.restoredisks.com.

You could also try the Product Key Updater Utility to see if it can "genuine-ize" your current installation by changing to the product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity that's on your Sony computer.  It might work if both the Dell disc and the Sony CoA are for the same edition (both are Home, or both are Pro, etc) of Windows XP.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:37 PM