Remote Access on One WHS (Vail) and One HP Media Smart Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Media Smart Server Ex485 and just yesterday built a new WHS (Vail) using a Dell Pentium 4, 3.6mhz, 4MB DDR2 RAM, 4TB Storage. I would like to be able to reach each of these two units remotely, one to check on my production units and the other to test out the new features of Vail such as on the fly streaming. I am using a pretty sophisticated dual band Linksys 600N. I cannot figure out how to set up the port forwarding to be able to access either unit depending upon the web address I enter. Advice from any networking gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Access does not have to be at the same time but I would like to be able to reach each remotely.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:39 PM

Answers

• As long as both are using the same Live ID and vanity URL, configure your router manually and switch from one server to the other in your router configuration pages. This is what I'm doing.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by kaisat Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:03 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:27 PM

All replies

• As long as both are using the same Live ID and vanity URL, configure your router manually and switch from one server to the other in your router configuration pages. This is what I'm doing.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by kaisat Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:03 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:27 PM
  • What I do (though not for the web administration as I dont use it):

On router setup forwarding rule 1: external port 443 (I believe it is running on) points to internal IP of production box port 443

Forwarding rule 2: external port 4443 (or whatever you want that already is not in use and not blocked by your ISP) points to internal IP of Vail box port 443

As Ken mentioned, you need to log into the router directly and setup the rules manually and not let the WHS boxes do it for you, well the first one can do it but the second will over write it.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:50 PM
  • You just cannot do it with one public IP.  You need todo what ken suggested.  What you can do is point 3389 to a desktop inside your lan (that supports RDP) and then you can make router changes from afar.
    Grey
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Many thanks for everyone's expert advice. I have been trying everything and I am convinced that what you are stating is correct.

Ken to clarify, what I would do then is remote into one of my computers and enter my router address, change the ip address in port forwarding from one server ip address to the other or possibly I could leave both sets there and simply check and uncheck. Afterwards attempt to remote in using the address of the other server and I should be fine, in fact I am going to try that right now.

You are correct I can toggle between servers by remote by changing the ip address in the router configuration.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:03 PM
  • If your router supports switching by checking/unchecking port forwarding rules, then yes, you can do that. Otherwise you rewrite the rules, as it were.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Grey and Ken are correct.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"kaisat" wrote in message news:d02d4d2f-d6b3-4462-ba4f-be7d343eb44f...

Many thanks for everyone's expert advice. I have been trying everything and I am convinced that what you are stating is correct.

Ken to clarify, what I would do then is remote into one of my computers and enter my router address, change the ip address in port forwarding from one server ip address to the other or possibly I could leave both sets there and simply check and uncheck. Afterwards attempt to remote in using the address of the other server and I should be fine, in fact I am going to try that right now.

You are correct I can toggle between servers by remote by changing the ip address in the router configuration.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:15 PM
  • For giggles you should study this 3389 thing :)  If you are using the remote functions of WHS you make a mistake from afar and you are locked out till you get home.
    Grey
    Friday, April 30, 2010 2:48 AM