none
Which method of Authentication is correct for Sync Framework client application (database synchronization)? RRS feed

• Question

• Users will be out in the field collecting data on windows client app in areas with poor internet connection. Days or even weeks at a time away from any network connection. The lucky ones will bring their laptop back to a regional office to sync the data they've collected when they login to the company network. Others will have to resort to plugging into a client/customer internet connection and/or Internet Cafe connection to perform the data sync.

The app stores the data on a local sql server 2008 R2 express database and the client will initiate a database sync to the SQL Server 2008 standard in HQ as and when connection is available.

User Authentication and role based security are requirements of the App. Which method should I be using: Forms Authentication or Windows Authentication ? (And I think I've come across a 3rd type called Custom Authentication ?)

Sorry, I'm really lost on the authentication stuff - first time doing it and not sure of the pros & cons of each type. Can anyone advise which I should be wiring into the client app for this database syncronization scenario ?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:44 PM