Domain Name Not Available after WHS reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running the 120 day trial of WHS with no problems for about 119 days now. Recently purchased a full copy of WHS to install, THEN learned I had to reinstall and not just enter the keycode (my fault for not studying up first) SO this past weekend I started anew ... clean hard drive, clean install of WHS, etc. - all going well. Reinstalled WHS connector on other machines - all seeming fine - BUT - I am not able to get the part about my domain name (ie nnnn.homeserver.com) because it has me sign in with Windows Live and then tells me that the domain name is not available (of course it is not, I already have signed up for it) - now if I go to a browser and type in the domain name https://nnnn.homeserver.com it takes me to my server - so the domain name is still working from the trial install, apparently doesn't understand that I have reinstalled, but tells me it is not working. The other thing that is going wrong is I am getting an invalid certificate error before proceeding ... I believe the two are related. All I want to do is to tell my new installation how to use my existing domain name that I used for the previous 119 days on the trial version.

I did a clean install (wiped drive, etc.) not a "server re-install" ... just in case that matters.

Any feedback or direction is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:31 AM

Answers

• If you logon with the same LiveID you should be able to choose the name you already registered with this LiveID.
    • Marked as answer by justkdue Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:19 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Hi Kevin,
    maybe you created a separate Live ID for this purpose and did not use this same ID now.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by justkdue Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:27 PM

All replies

• If you logon with the same LiveID you should be able to choose the name you already registered with this LiveID.
    • Marked as answer by justkdue Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:19 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Hi Kevin,
    maybe you created a separate Live ID for this purpose and did not use this same ID now.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by justkdue Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Thank You - I was overlooking the obvious - I have more than one live ID - I was trying to use the one I "usually" use but I had used a different one for this purpose when I first signed up. Thank You for the help!

Kevin
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:20 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem, but with an initial installation. I login with either of my two correct live ID's and passwords, and immediately get an error that they already exist, and am not able to set up my domain. Very frustrating. The rest of the installation has gone well. HELP, please.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thank You - I was overlooking the obvious - I have more than one live ID - I was trying to use the one I "usually" use but I had used a different one for this purpose when I first signed up. Thank You for the help!

Kevin
    I've just had the same problem, and like you solved it by using another Live ID. However, I no longer use this ID, so how can I associate my new ID with my domain name at homeserver.com?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:16 PM

Kevin
    I've just had the same problem, and like you solved it by using another Live ID. However, I no longer use this ID, so how can I associate my new ID with my domain name at homeserver.com?

And as if by magic, here is my other ID!
    -- Nigel M
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:18 PM
  • As far as I know, there is no way to "release" a particular vanity URL other than by taking a new one.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:10 AM
  • there has to be a way to release the name. This just seems so simple that maybe the fix is easy?

Sorry for opening an old thread, just hoping someone might have figured it out and maybe they can share the fix.

Monday, March 7, 2011 9:40 PM