Firmware RAID 1 or Windows Server disk mirroring - which option? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, so I have a WHS Vail server I'm rebuilding with two 2TB disks.   The system has firmware RAID on the motherboard (which works), but I was interested in using software disk mirroring.  Now, due to the way that WHS allocates its disks, any attempt to add a mirror of the storage drive fails with a "not enough disk space" error.  The disks are identical in size and the disk I want to add is totally blank.

So, what's the intention of the team with regards to OEMs here - that the OEM will use firmware RAID1/RAID5, or is there the ability when already running the OS to subsequently configure Windows disk mirrors?

Thanks in advance for your responses and advice!

Friday, January 21, 2011 1:11 AM

All replies

•  So, what's the intention of the team with regards to OEMs here - that the OEM will use firmware RAID1/RAID5, or is there the ability when already running the OS to subsequently configure Windows disk mirrors?

We don't know. We’re waiting for information same as everyone else.

Nancy

Nancy Ward
    Friday, January 21, 2011 1:19 AM
  • If you set up a disk mirror in the firmware (RAID1 in the intel raid options) it will work fine.  Otherwise i'm sure when the next beta without drive extender comes out, disks will be allocated normally and software RAID would work like it does on any other windows system.
    D.W.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:01 PM