Which disk is which in storage view ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My current WHS has 2 identical HDDs (same manufacturer & model), if I want to remove one of them from the storage pool so that I can swap it out for a bigger disk how do I tell which physical disk is the one which was removed from the pool ?

( plan B involves waiting until 5TB HDDs are available for retail and then removing both !! )

Thanks

Ian

Monday, May 9, 2011 6:54 PM

All replies

• You don't mention whether you are using WHS V1, or the new 2011 version... 

If it is WHS V1 then you have a couple of choices that I know of, there are probably more..

1. Shutdown the server, unplug one of the two drives, then reboot the server, if that drive was still part of your storage pool your server status will be red... if that drive was already removed from the console, then you server status will be green.

2. I've noticed that with my drives that if you look at the disk name in the server storage tab, it contains some numbers after the model number, those numbers are close to the serial number of the drive.  IE they are not the exact same as the serial number of the drive, but they are really close....  so if you write down both of the numbers that appear after the model number, then power down your server, and pull the two drives out to check their serial numbers, one of them should be similar to the number that you saw in the storage pool tab...

Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Once you have solved your problem, I can recommend the use of the excellent WHS Disk Management add-in which allows you to draw a representation of your computer showing where each disk is physically placed.

http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/products/whs/diskmanagement

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:26 PM