Neue Konsole für Zugriff auf HP MSS EX470 nach Upgrade auf v3 unter W7 installierbar aber nicht konfigurierbar RRS feed

• Question

• Habe dieses Wochenende sehr viel Zeit am WHS verbraten : Habe meinen MSS EX470 der nahezu zwei Jahre stabil lief  nun mit RAM aufgerüstet und anschließend problemlos auf v3.3.1.35433 gebracht. Alles tut wie erwartet … Nur die Console lässt sich beim besten Willen nicht installieren. Habe zwei W7-Maschinen zur Verfügung und auf beiden kein Erfolg. Zuvor mit der v1 war das kein Problem.

Olaf Engelke's Artikel unter http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/15a9e657-54a3-453f-b0e7-1efa59b7feea ist mir bei der Suche eine große Hilfe und ich meine auch den Punkt schon gefunden zu haben – nur fehlt mir die Idee ihn zu beheben.

Denn ein „ping <WHS>“ liefert die richtige interne Heimnetz-IP wo hingegen „nslookup <WHS>“ eine externe  IP meines ISP liefert. Dies wird m. E. der Grund sein, dass beim Setup der Console Installation, Discovery und Authentication noch funktionieren. Aber sobald ich das Kennwort eingegeben habe – auch der Hint wird mir noch korrekt gezeigt – steigt sofort die Konfiguration aus – roter Kreis mit Kreuz und dem Hinweis, dass der Vorgang nicht abgeschlossen werden konnte und ich es doch später erneut versuchen sollte!!??

Kann mich via RDP in den WHS begeben und dort die Console öffnen … auf Dauer keine Lösung.

Jeder Hinweis ist mir sehr willkommen.

Auf eine baldige Antwort hoffend, lg IngoS

Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:56 PM

Answers

• Issue fixed in an incredible way: since the ConnectorTroubleshooter complained always not matched versions - but they definitely belong to each other - I intuitively on the WHS in the C(SYS)-Drive next to the SubDir "Programs" in parallel created a SubDir "Program Files" and into that one I then copied the complete "Windows Home Server" directory from "Programs"... and guess what? Everything is working now well as expected to work.
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:37 AM

All replies

• Denn ein „ping <WHS>“ liefert die richtige interne Heimnetz-IP wo hingegen „nslookup <WHS>“ eine externe  IP meines ISP liefert. Dies wird m. E. der Grund sein, dass beim Setup der Console Installation, Discovery und Authentication noch funktionieren.

Hi,
    Your server name resolving to an external IP-addres is likely to be the problem. Knowing this, solving it is another matter :-) As Olaf points out in his article this can be a problem and may depend on the properties of your router. So for now lets try to solve this the easy way?

The easiest way would be editing your Windows 7 clients host file per Method#3 in Olafs article. Try this to see if it solves your problem. Optionally you could go for Method#2 (Manual configuring IP addresses). With both options you should be able to properly install the connector software.

The solutions given above are not preferred as this makes your network less flexible when IP-adresses change. More importantly you will probably run into problems with the WHS client restore CD. This is because the restore process depens on proper name resolution for your server. Work around to remember in this case: before starting the restore CD, disconnect your router from the ISP connection or maybe replace it by a simple switch. This should prevent resolving the local server name to an external IP-adress.

(Some general advise: once you have the connector installed, check the restore proces. For this you do not need to go through the actual restore proces itself: just boot from the WHS restore CD and verify if you have the correct drivers available, can connect to the server and see a list of your backups)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Hi Theo, both options didn't change anything in the setup behavior I'm experiencing ... maybe you can have a look @ http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/c7ec4352-d3ab-4dea-8d48-bbeedc32389c where I actually and again desribed my problem including screenshots ....

Cheers, IngoS

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Hi Ingo,
    please check the event log of the server for errors or warnings (especially DCOM issues would be interesting) around the time of the failed logon attempts. On one of my WHS systems this revealed missing permissions for the IUSR_Servername account to WHS Transport service, which could be fixed in the dcomcnfg tool.

Btw.: Since a few weeks also a German language forum for Windows Home Server can be found here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:10 AM
  • Issue fixed in an incredible way: since the ConnectorTroubleshooter complained always not matched versions - but they definitely belong to each other - I intuitively on the WHS in the C(SYS)-Drive next to the SubDir "Programs" in parallel created a SubDir "Program Files" and into that one I then copied the complete "Windows Home Server" directory from "Programs"... and guess what? Everything is working now well as expected to work.
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:37 AM