WHS does not see the hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to Load WHS on a PC that has this chipset: 945GM + ICH7M-DH and this CPU: Celeron M530, 1.73GHz

WHS does not see the drive and asks for the Storage Driver. Drive is an 80G SATA drive, so it should be good for WHS. I have tried to find a driver for it, but so far were not succesful in loading it or have a wrong driver. Few questions:

- Does WHS work with this Hardware?

- Can somebody who has done this type of a things tell me the steps to get this thing see the hard drive?

Thanks in advance...
    Bahman Jalali (B.J.)
    bj@san.rr.com

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:01 AM

Answers

• You're probably seeing this error because your BIOS is configured to use the SATA ports in SATA mode. There's not much built-in driver support for SATA on WHS, because it's based on Windows Server 2003. If the SATA ports are in SATA mode, probably the easiest way to fix it is to go into the BIOS and put them in legacy IDE (or PATA) mode instead. You'll be sacrificing a small amount of potential performance but won't need a driver. Or you can follow your motherboard manufacturer's instructions for preparing a driver floppy.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:02 PM

All replies

• I had a jumper setting problem on my install (used an old 120GB ATA drive) and found my problem when I checked my BIOS. I'd check all my BIOSsettings including boot and make sure it's the 1st master if you haven't. I forgot that my had been a slave.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:09 AM
  • You're probably seeing this error because your BIOS is configured to use the SATA ports in SATA mode. There's not much built-in driver support for SATA on WHS, because it's based on Windows Server 2003. If the SATA ports are in SATA mode, probably the easiest way to fix it is to go into the BIOS and put them in legacy IDE (or PATA) mode instead. You'll be sacrificing a small amount of potential performance but won't need a driver. Or you can follow your motherboard manufacturer's instructions for preparing a driver floppy.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:02 PM
  • You could try to slipstream those drivers on the DVD. It should work (it does with XP for example), but don't ask me how to do it with WHS Big Smile
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:10 PM
  • That did it....CHanging to IDE in BIOS fixed it...

Thanks a lot...

BJ

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:30 PM