KVM switch RRS feed

• Question

• This maybe a simple question to most. Does anyone see any problems with using a KVM switch for install. I will be installing later today.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:53 PM

Answers

• You should have no problem installing WHS on a box you are reaching with a KVM so long as the KVM and the underlying hardware like each other (which rarely happens for me given the cheapness of KVMs I tend to buy).
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:04 PM
  • I am currently running my WHS box connected to a Trednnet TK-407 USB KVM and WHS has no issues with it at all.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:26 PM
  • I currently have my WHS connected by a KVM. I guess I'm just not ready to go headless......

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:01 PM
  • Thanks All

Install was no problem and I am now headless as well. Sweet.!

Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:30 AM

All replies

• You should have no problem installing WHS on a box you are reaching with a KVM so long as the KVM and the underlying hardware like each other (which rarely happens for me given the cheapness of KVMs I tend to buy).
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:04 PM
  • I am currently running my WHS box connected to a Trednnet TK-407 USB KVM and WHS has no issues with it at all.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:26 PM
  • I currently have my WHS connected by a KVM. I guess I'm just not ready to go headless......

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:01 PM
  • Thanks All

Install was no problem and I am now headless as well. Sweet.!

Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:30 AM
  • I'm using an IO Gear KVM as well.  No problems during install or use.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 2:48 PM
  • I used a Belkin Omniview SOHO Series KVM Switch during setup and installation of WHS with no  issues.  It was a sweet install without having to hook up extra hardware;(monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.) I am now headless with no issues.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 12:43 AM
  • I'm using the IO Gear USB KVM and have not experienced any issues as all.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Good stuff, because I want to hook mine up to a KVM switch.  It makes it easier if I ned to configure the WHS server for what ever reason.  I didn't realise that you could get that much problem with KVM switches.  Looks it is a good idea to buy a quality switch rather than those cheap ones you see on ebay for $9.95.

Thanks Guys 

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:40 AM
  • I also had success with an IOGear KVM switch -- MiniView™ Micro PS/2 KVM. Installed Beta2, CTP and RC versions of WHS using the switch without any issues.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:50 AM