What SATA II PCI card? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my situation. I am running WHS on an Poweredge 1800. It had a SATA raid PCI card in it. I did not see an option to turn raid completely off I was going to raid 0, but then read about how RAID is not really supported by WHS. Once I get this setup I want to minimilize the problems, so I pulled the card out.

I pluged 2 750 GB drives into the onboard SATA ports.
    I then pluged in a a PCI Silicon Image 3512 sata controller, which has two internal ports. I then plugged 2 1.5TB samsung drives into this device.

Storage calculations all came up great.

I started getting a non responsive unit , one or two minutes of complete freeze then it would lock. I pulled out all drives but the system, and then added drives until it started happening.

Either the last drive is bad (running a chkdsk on it now here at work) , or the controller card is having problems handling the two 1.5 tb drives. I suspect its the controller card.

So does anyone have any suggestions on a good SATA II PCI non raid controller card?

Or will I be okay going back to the raid card that was in the box and just setting the drives up as raid 0??

Thanks
    Zach
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• I use this cheap RC-209-EX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132013&Tpk=RC-209

I think anything with the Sil3114 chip works fine
    • Marked as answer by ZachGeek Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• Any PC card should work aslong as you have got the right drivers, I have 3 Via cards in mine, that only costed me about £10 each and it took me a week to get mine setup and now they work fine, its all in finding the right drivers for the card. The Raid card should be fine aslong as you deactivate the Raid or dont setup a raid drive.

HMG

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Does it sound right that I cant deactivate the raid? Best option I saw was to raid 0? Are some cards like that?

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:44 PM
  • does it give you an option after post to setup Raid config? if there isnt have a look at the manual because as you know WHS has problem with Raid, because WHS uses its own software based Raid. So if you can deactivate it, you may have to buy a new card
    HMG
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:31 PM
  • I picked up the box from work we no longer needed it. Manual is long gone, I tried looking around online.

It has its own settings after the post.

Its this card http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/RAID/CERCbest.pdf

I guess I will just have to play around with it or get a new card as you said.

Can anyone recommend a good sata controller that is known to play well with whs?

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:44 PM
  • I use this cheap RC-209-EX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132013&Tpk=RC-209

I think anything with the Sil3114 chip works fine
    • Marked as answer by ZachGeek Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:34 PM
  • ZachGeek have you looked in the bios I was just reading the PDF, that you have to go into the bios or press ctrl+A to enter the card config there you should be able to either disable Raid or you may have to delete the Raid array, then you should be single drives. or you could purchase a couple of SATA PCI cards.
    HMG
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:53 PM
  • This card does support simple volumes.

Ctrl-A to enter the card bios, then select array config utility. Then Create array from the menu, you'll get a screen listing the available disks on the left side. Select a disk and press the insert key, this moves the disk to the right window. Press enter to complete selection. In the array properties screen, tab to array type and select simple volume from the menu. Do the same for the other disks. You can see the results under 'manage arrays.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:53 PM
  • To use your present card, you'll havo get a newer bias, failing that,gat NORCO-4618 pci-X sata CARD, COSTS $70.00 AE NEWEGG.COM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Any PC card should work aslong as you have got the right drivers, I have 3 Via cards in mine, that only costed me about £10 each and it took me a week to get mine setup and now they work fine, its all in finding the right drivers for the card. The Raid card should be fine aslong as you deactivate the Raid or dont setup a raid drive.

HMG

Henry,

where did you find the drivers for that card. I have one of those and have not been able to find the proper drivers...

Let me know, thanks.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:50 AM
  • I dont think the drivers I got off the internet worked right all I did was search for the drivers for the card by google, I think I just did a trial on the drivers that are on the disc that came with the card. I cant think of the driver of head as I am not at home, but once installed should give you some numbers behind the driver name something beginning with 4 I think. I will have a proper look when I get home an post on here another day if you havent found anything by then.
    HMG
    Friday, September 25, 2009 10:01 AM