Windows Home Server 2011 in Hyper-V major networking issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    Been having some serious networking issues with my Hyper-V WHS2011 system.

Background:

I've finally rebuilt my Windows Home Server to Windows Home Server 2011 and all is seemed well for a while.
    Please bear in mind that this is a Hyper-V guest on my rebuilt Server 2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V host. This is a Microsoft supported configuration.

My WHS2011 guest is using all physical disks (except for the system drive which is a VHD) so I do not believe that the issue is with latency on the VM.
    All media files are served from the physical disks.

The host has 2 NICs:
    1x Marvell Yukon 88E80856 PCI-E Gigabit (Onboard)
    1x Realtek RTL8169/8110 PCI Gigabit (PCI Add-In card)

I have tried changing around the roles of the NICs, and the problem remains.

Both host and guest have every and all Windows Update.
    NIC drivers are the latest from Marvell and Realtek.

Now to the issues:

Most of the WHS2011 configuration has been fine, but I have experienced a large amount of issues with the networking, especially when remoting to the WHS2011 guest for media serving, accessing the Web Console or otherwise just using RDC.

-DLNA server aka 'Media Server' is non-visible, but does intermittently appear on the network.
    -Running a #ping -t <server> shows serious timeouts per this thread while accessing via RDC, Web or

I have checked some other threads regarding Hyper-V networking issues and it appears that there have been quite a few over time, so I have created this thread in the WHS2011 forum with the intent to try and get to the bottom of this specific scenario (Windows Home Server 2011 running in Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2008 R2 host).

The issues I have so far indentified:

Fix #1: Microsoft Hotfix - This fix is included in SP1 and I have verified the files are the correct versions. Problems persist.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2263829 
    There is a MS Hotfix (kb2263829 specifically) that identifies the following issue:
    "The network connection of a running Hyper-V virtual machine may be lost under heavy outgoing network traffic on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1"
    This appears related to this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/servervirtualization/thread/2cfb772c-7558-4a46-98a6-3f55cac8bb40

Fix #2: Registry Change - This does not appear to work.
    Found here from here, originally from here - FYI: This key needs to be edited inside the VM
    Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    Value(DWORD): DisableTaskOffload = 1

Fix #3: TCP Offload manual settings - Limited success (Able to maintain constant ping), but problems persist.
    The setting in 'Fix #2' can be can be amended in the NIC cards Properties, in the Advanced tab.

Fix #4: Replace Network Card entirely.
    I am currently investigating the possibility that Intel NICs are better supported in Hyper-V than other mainstream NICs.
    This would not be surprising considering Microsofts traditionally close relationship with Intel.
    Hopefully this week I'm going to get a chance to go to the local computer shop and pick one up.

So my I'm throwing this out there to see if anyone can help me?

Friday, November 11, 2011 1:33 AM

All replies

• WHS 2011 has problems supporting more than a single NIC - have you tried disabling one of your pair?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:55 AM
  • WHS 2011 has problems supporting more than a single NIC - have you tried disabling one of your pair?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

The 2 NICs are in the host OS (Server 2008 R2), not in the VM guest (WHS2011).
    The Marvell NIC is used for the host OS and the Realtek NIC is dedicated for VM access.

The WHS2011 guest itself only has 1 virtual NIC assigned.

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:46 AM
  • I presume the realtek has been pruned on the host.

If the host still has two active nics (Marvel and realtek) and the guest uses the realtek, then there will be issues. Check to see if the Realtek nic card is getting an ip address on the host.

If it is then you need to disable all the stuff on the realtek (in the host only) except for the hyperv bridging protocol.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Just curious...Did this work OP?
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:21 PM