Inconsistent Network Access RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently set-up OneCare with 1 laptop (Vista) connected wireless and one desktop (XP) connected via ethernet cable to the router.  Although Onecare always shows both with good status, the desktop disappears in Network when I attempt to access it from the laptop to file share.  Restarting the computer or refreshing Network does not help.  I have not noticed a pattern of why it is accessable only sometimes.  If you know why I am having these inconsistent results, I would appreciate the help! Thank you.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:32 AM

Answers

• Open OneCare on both PCs and click Change settings. On the firewall tab, configure network. Do both PCs have only one active network connection and are they shown as "Home or Work?"

Under the advanced settings, ports and protocols, see if placing a check next to "File and Printer Sharing - Internet" helps.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:43 AM

All replies

• Open OneCare on both PCs and click Change settings. On the firewall tab, configure network. Do both PCs have only one active network connection and are they shown as "Home or Work?"

Under the advanced settings, ports and protocols, see if placing a check next to "File and Printer Sharing - Internet" helps.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Thank you for the quick response.  This solved my problem!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:18 AM
  • Excellent! Thanks for confirming.

-steve

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:54 PM