none
primary hard drive size RRS feed

• General discussion

• My current configuration on a 10TB Whs setup is 640GB OS hard disk, and the rest mixed with 6 or 7 1TB each.
    Is this ideal or should I install the OS on a larger hard drive, let's say 1tb and fast?
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:48 PM not a technical question
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:41 PM

All replies

• My current configuration on a 10TB Whs setup is 640GB OS hard disk, and the rest mixed with 6 or 7 1TB each.
    Is this ideal or should I install the OS on a larger hard drive, let's say 1tb and fast?
    I would just leave it alone (unless it's showing signs of failure, of course).  You won't get any real benefit by replacing it (I'm still running my WHS install on a 400 GB PATA drive and it's been working fine for 2+ years running 24/7).  The only exception I could see is if you have no room left to add an additional hard drive inside your case, all of your secondary drives are already the current maximum hard drive size of 2 TB each and you were running out of total free space on your server.  In that case, I might consider it (although, in that case, you are simply delaying the inevitable so I would start considering a more "major" upgrade, including a new case that can house more hard drives, a new mobo with more SATA ports, etc).  Basically, my opinion is this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :)
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:48 PM