Can I buy a separate copy of OneCare and use it's product key to renew my suscription? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, in 3 days my credit card will be charged to renew my OneCare service for $50. I'm wondering why I would do this when I can just buy another copy online for $20? Can I use it's product key to renew my suscription?
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:18 PM

Answers

• Yes,  go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:38 AM

All replies

• Yes,  go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Since your copy will expire in 3 days and be renewed automatically, you may want to contact support *now* to cancel your subscription. Once it is expired on your PC, uninstall and reinstall. You'll have 15 days in trial mode before you need to activate. The above steps (previous reply) would help if you had a new retail key in hand now.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:40 AM
  • thanks a bunch. i'm trying to buy a copy on ebay and just have the seller message me with the product key.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 2:19 AM
  • Well, that would work, assuming the seller never used the key before. Once used, it can't be used again. So, good luck!

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:35 AM