Scheduled OneCare scans and tune-ups RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just installed the trial version of OneCare on my newly reconstructed Vista x64 Ultimate system. Question: How do I disable scheduled virus and tune-up scans please (and I mean completely disable scheduled scans, as in none)? I don't seem to find an option to this effect. Tried scheduling these scans when my computer is turned off, however the scans seem to start whenever I start up my computer...

(Please do not tell me that these scheduled scans cannot be disabled! Please! That would be a deal breaker as far as I am concerned...)

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:24 AM

Answers

• Scheduled scans and tune ups can not be disabled. The longest interval that can be set between tune ups is one month. If you don't run tune up monthly at a minimum I don't see much value in using One Care.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:59 PM

All replies

• Scheduled scans and tune ups can not be disabled. The longest interval that can be set between tune ups is one month. If you don't run tune up monthly at a minimum I don't see much value in using One Care.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:59 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    Scheduled scans and tune ups can not be disabled. ... If you don't run tune up monthly at a minimum I don't see much value in using One Care.

Well, there's the firewall, there's the antivirus that can be run upon request (I esp. like the right-click "Scan for viruses..." option). No real need for periodic (and annoying) virus scans if you're a careful fella. (Now, I do, on the other hand, assume that OneCare does have some real-time reaction mechanism that catches viruses when they act, doesn't it? Otherwise, it is indeed useless as an antivirus, with or without scheduled scans...)

I hence think that disabling scheduled scans should be an option, esp. if one has 2-3 TBs of data on 6-7 HDDs. That could take a really long time to scan--all the more annoying when you have to do it at least once a month...

Now, it looks to me that not providing a "disable scheduled scan" option might be excused for computers with at most 200Gs of data, however in this day and age of dirt cheap memory and especially HDD space, one should be provided with an alternative to scanning huge HDDs. Alright, you do it once, but that should be it.

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:07 PM
  • That sure is a whole lot of data and disks. I think I'd want to disable scans, too.

You have a solution, though.

Open OneCare.

Click on Change Settings.

On the Virus and Spyware tab, exclude all of the drives you wish to never scan. Voila! Excluded.

Bad news, though. I believe that you (and me on my newest desktop, that has several external USB drives connected) will still see Defrag try to defrag all of the attached drives during the monthly tune-up. That is likely to never complete, according to OneCare, and there is no way to disable Defrag or exclude drives from being defragged.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:40 AM
  • Actually, I believe there is a much simpler solution, just abort the scan when it starts. I've recently done this on a PC that hadn't been scanned in 4 weeks and as I recall it reset the next scan to 4 weeks in the future. I can't recall, but it might have indicated a 'Yellow' condition though, indicating that the scan hadn't been completed recently.

Just give it a try and find out.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:10 AM
  • Thanks, I thought of that just after posting my previous message. I did just that: excluded some drives from virus scanning. Nevertheless, I think it should be on the developers' to do list for the next OneCare release to include a "disable" option for both defrag and virus scan.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:51 AM
  • If you cancel the scheduled Tune-up, it will eventually complain and put you in a yellow, at risk status. In fact, in my experience, it starts nagging about the missed Tune-up within a few days of the cancel. It has been a while since I did that, so I can't recall the specifics.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:10 PM