Unpartitioned space RRS feed

• Question

• ok i just installed the windows home server onto my computer. when i went to install it it asked what drive. so i put disk 0 i think but i am sure i didnt do my other disk that had all my files on it. about 2 secs in i unplug my other hard drive. now it is unpartitioned and has extremly important files on it for work and home use. i was wondering if anybody knows how if at all possible to recover my files in the upartitioned space? i hope somebody can help or at least tell me if it is even possible. thanks
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:37 AM

Answers

• When installing WHS, it will take over all HD’s attached and turn them into volumes for the drive extender when you click next after checking the checkbox as acknowledgement of this.

When it comes to getting those files back... It *may* still be possible... however you are looking at spending a few bucks on a product like GetDataBack or the services of a company like Ontrack however the only guarantee you have with most solutions is their willingness to take your money.

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:32 AM
  • There are programs out there that will do this for you that you maybe able to purchase.  However, OnTrack has always worked for people I know.

Windows Home Server explicitly asks if you acknowledge the fact ALL hard drives listed WILL be formatted.

Also, this is a beta, you really shouldn't be using this to store important information until the final release.

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:18 PM

All replies

• When installing WHS, it will take over all HD’s attached and turn them into volumes for the drive extender when you click next after checking the checkbox as acknowledgement of this.

When it comes to getting those files back... It *may* still be possible... however you are looking at spending a few bucks on a product like GetDataBack or the services of a company like Ontrack however the only guarantee you have with most solutions is their willingness to take your money.

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:32 AM
  • There are programs out there that will do this for you that you maybe able to purchase.  However, OnTrack has always worked for people I know.

Windows Home Server explicitly asks if you acknowledge the fact ALL hard drives listed WILL be formatted.

Also, this is a beta, you really shouldn't be using this to store important information until the final release.

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:18 PM
  • thanks for the information. i got most of my files back i need i am so happy. thanks again
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:11 AM