Favorite WHS FTP add-on RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for recommendations for an FTP server add-on for my WHS. Preferably the user administration would be tied to the user & folder administration already part of WHS shares.

Any input folks?

Thx mch!
    Rich
    Monday, July 13, 2009 2:08 PM

Answers

• ... What you would do?

I would use Windows Server 2008, or I would seek out a solution specifically designed to meet your needs. I think you'll find that Windows Home Server will probably not deliver the level of performance and scalability that you will need. I can tell you from personal experience (I designed and led the implementation of a system that needed to deal with similar amounts of data several years ago) that the volumes you describe are going to be a challenge no matter what you do, though. Assuming ten photographers and 2500 RAW images each (you did say thousands, and I have seen wedding or school photographers grind out that much volume in a day) @ say 12 MB each, you'll need bandwidth to be able to accept 200-300Gb of uploads a week, and your retouchers are probably going to need even more bandwidth than that. This article, and parts 2 and 3 of it as well, might be helpful to you. (That project wasn't mine, BTW.)

However, as regards drag and drop, the Windows Home Server Remote Access web site supports that as long as you're using Internet Explorer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by tech lab Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:22 PM

All replies

• No such add-on exists, I'm afraid. FTP isn't very secure (the control channel, thorugh which authentication and all other basic communication passes, is unencrypted Telnet per the protocol) and the integration with Windows Home Server would be extremely basic at best. I personally would not recommend using FTP for file transfers, given that you hav ethe Windows Home Server Remote Access web site already.

If you insist on FTP, and you're handy with code, you could build such an add-in. I would probably use the FTP component of IIS as the FTP server, then build an add-in to manage security for users. See the Windows Home Server SDK for more details on how you would develop an add-in.

Monday, July 13, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Actually you can find an FTP Add-in overhere. Otherwise I second Ken. It's not secure.

You could also have a look at secure FTP. It will probably work on WHS. Please note that installing applications from the Windows Home Server desktop is not supported and you risk messing up your homeserver by doing this.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Well, many thanks to you and Ken... 

Hummm... OK, I may now be leaning toward forcing the users to only use the built in web interface in order to access their shares!

Maybe instead of asking about FTP servers I would be better served just explaining what it is we are trying to do and ask you folks how best to do that.

My users are photographers who need to upload many 1000s of RAW images weekly to the shop server and re-touchers who need to take them from the server.

The easiest way for these users to do this is dragging & dropping whole folders (1 per wedding, etc) to & from the server. (Now you see why my thoughts went to FTP!) The having to use the included web interface to BROWSE for files to upload just doesn't scale well!

Does this description help?   Any ideas?  What you would do?

Thanks much,
    Rich
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:13 AM
  • ... What you would do?

I would use Windows Server 2008, or I would seek out a solution specifically designed to meet your needs. I think you'll find that Windows Home Server will probably not deliver the level of performance and scalability that you will need. I can tell you from personal experience (I designed and led the implementation of a system that needed to deal with similar amounts of data several years ago) that the volumes you describe are going to be a challenge no matter what you do, though. Assuming ten photographers and 2500 RAW images each (you did say thousands, and I have seen wedding or school photographers grind out that much volume in a day) @ say 12 MB each, you'll need bandwidth to be able to accept 200-300Gb of uploads a week, and your retouchers are probably going to need even more bandwidth than that. This article, and parts 2 and 3 of it as well, might be helpful to you. (That project wasn't mine, BTW.)

However, as regards drag and drop, the Windows Home Server Remote Access web site supports that as long as you're using Internet Explorer.

• Marked as answer by tech lab Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:22 PM