locked
WHS 2011 Client Backup Fails RRS feed

  • Question

  • Post the August 15, 2012 Update No. 3, I am having multiple failures in backing up client computers.  The error message that keeps appearing is:  "The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service failed at (46) of (d:\wssg_src\colorado_qfe\backup\pc\util\volumeclusterreader.cpp).
    Event Xml:"  There appears to be some timing out issue as the backups start, then appear to hang, and then stop prematurely.

    I have checked all relevant disks, do not have any dynamic volumes, and have only four HDD's of 1TB each to back up.  On Drive C is the OS and Drive D are the Server Folders.  Both Drice C and Drive D are on a 1TB HDD.  There is plenty of space in my server Drive E RAID (almost 9 TB) for backups.  Prior to the August 15, 2012 update I had no problems since December 2011 in backing up the same client computer.  Backup of the server to a USB external HDD itself does not have this problem.  I have made no changes to the server nor client computer other than the regular Microsoft Windows 7 Pro and WHS 2011 updates.

    Any ideas what the problem(s) is/are and what would be recommended to remedy this problem?  Thank you.

    Sunday, November 4, 2012 4:32 AM

Answers

  • Please run chkdsk /r on all the drives in your server. Also consider updating drivers for your RAID HBA, and consider letting Windows Home Server manage drives rather than using RAID in the first place. If that doesn't help, work your way through your client computers.

    Also, it seems unlikely that you're backing up anything  from your server's "drive E", since Windows Home Server won't let you select a drive larger than 2 TB as a server backup source or target without some shenanigans, and won't back up more than 2 TB no matter what you do. Is that correct? You're only backing up your system drive and associated information, to allow a restore of the server?


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:38 AM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Forgot to mention that, for the RAID, I have in my server a HighPoint Technologies RocketRAID controlling the five 3 TB HDD for data backup.  I did update today the RocketRAID management panel and was alerted to a HDD problem that was not caught by chkdsk.  Waiting for my RAID to rebuild.  Will post what happens when the rebuilding is finished.
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:31 AM

All replies

  • Please run chkdsk /r on all the drives in your server. Also consider updating drivers for your RAID HBA, and consider letting Windows Home Server manage drives rather than using RAID in the first place. If that doesn't help, work your way through your client computers.

    Also, it seems unlikely that you're backing up anything  from your server's "drive E", since Windows Home Server won't let you select a drive larger than 2 TB as a server backup source or target without some shenanigans, and won't back up more than 2 TB no matter what you do. Is that correct? You're only backing up your system drive and associated information, to allow a restore of the server?


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:38 AM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 5:07 PM
  • I did run chkdsk on all WHS server drives and all client computer drives.  No problems with any drives.  The client computer has all updated drivers.  WHS did indeed allow me to set up a 9 TB RAID as Drive E on the server and it was working 100% from December 2011 until about August 15, 2012.  On the WHS server, Drive C is the OS (WHS 2011) and Drive D contains the server folders for Documents, Music, Pictures, Recorded TV, Video.  Drive E on the server is ued to back up a client PC's Drive D, E, and F (each 1 TB) that contain data.  As I stated, this etup worked 100% from December 2011 to August 15, 2012.  The one thing I realize now that I did not check is whether the server has updated drivers.  I shall check that as that could explain the apparent timing out of backups.  I set up the server based on an article in Maximum PC and posted on 12-19-2011.  Again, no problems of any kind until Aygyst 15, 2012.
    Monday, November 5, 2012 5:07 AM
  • Forgot to mention that, for the RAID, I have in my server a HighPoint Technologies RocketRAID controlling the five 3 TB HDD for data backup.  I did update today the RocketRAID management panel and was alerted to a HDD problem that was not caught by chkdsk.  Waiting for my RAID to rebuild.  Will post what happens when the rebuilding is finished.
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:31 AM