I upgraded to WIndows 10 for free and it activated correctly. I upgraded my motherboard and processor. Now it won't activate. Now what? RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading from Windows 7 Pro 32 bit to Windows 10 Pro 32 bit (free upgrade), everything was working fine, but a little slow. So I replaced my motherboard, processor and memory to speed the system up. I also did a clean install with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, but it won't let me activate now. What can I do to correct this?
    Monday, August 24, 2015 6:52 AM

Answers

• The Windows 10 Upgrade license is restricted to the original computer on which it was installed.

In MS terms, this means the original motherboard - changing the motherboard outside of warranty conditions therefore invalidates the license.

You will need to purchase a new Full License for Windows 10- or for any other version of Windows, if your original Windows 7 Pro was an OEM edition.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Monday, August 24, 2015 7:10 AM

All replies

• The Windows 10 Upgrade license is restricted to the original computer on which it was installed.

In MS terms, this means the original motherboard - changing the motherboard outside of warranty conditions therefore invalidates the license.

You will need to purchase a new Full License for Windows 10- or for any other version of Windows, if your original Windows 7 Pro was an OEM edition.

Monday, August 24, 2015 7:10 AM

What if he had a full version of windows 7. You assume he had an OEM version

Paul

Thursday, August 27, 2015 1:58 AM
  • IN which case, he would need to reinstall Windows 7 on the new motherboard, and perform the upgrade again there.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:12 AM
  • Thanks Noel, In windows 8 they would just reset your information and reactivate. Now with this windows 10 Free upgrade many will find out that a major hardware change will cost them many hours of their life reinstalling everything on their computer and then free upgrading again. Once you have taken the bait and upgraded you should be upgraded! This go back and start over garbage is wrong!

How many billions of human life hours has Microsoft cost mankind in productivity! Blue screen, reboot, update reboot, reinstall, reboot, reinstall again, reboot...... What a shame. they can come up with a better system.

Paul

Thursday, August 27, 2015 12:54 PM
  • No system is perfect unfortunately. Eventually, MS may move to either a 'free' OS, or a subscription one. Both will have their problems :(

Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:10 PM