none
Which forum should I ask about setting up a virtual network adapter on Windows 8.1 Pro's Hyper-V?

Question

• Hi

I've installed Windows 10 TP (9926) on Hyper-V in Windows 8.1 Pro, but am having difficulty getting the virtual network adapter to connect to the internet.

Which forum should I be using?

Thanks

You use my posts entirely at your own risk. I neither work for nor represent Microsoft.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:35 PM

Answers

• Jetta

Like Answers, all the win 10 things should be put into that section.  I suspect general would fit the bill.  Happy to move it for you

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=WinPreview2014General

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by Jetta48 Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:57 PM
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:53 PM

All replies

• Jetta

Like Answers, all the win 10 things should be put into that section.  I suspect general would fit the bill.  Happy to move it for you

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=WinPreview2014General

• Marked as answer by Jetta48 Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:57 PM
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Hi ZZ

I suspect that the problem isn't so much a problem with Windows 10TP as it is with the Hyper-V setup of the virtual network adapter. Should the question still go in the W10TP forum that you mention or a virtualization one?

I'll start a new thread with more detail when I've confirmed where to put it.

Thanks.

You use my posts entirely at your own risk. I neither work for nor represent Microsoft.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:37 PM
  • Jetta

The Visualization forum is more server oriented. Do both if you think it would help.  Are you creating the virtual switch before you create the machine?  Are you making it an external?  Sorry for asking such basic questions but have to start somewhere

Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:42 PM
  • Hi

I've tried both internal & external.

Ideally, I'd like to create an internal one which shares the physical wireless network adapter. I'm currently following these instructions:

http://blog.credera.com/technology-insights/microsoft-solutions/using-your-windows-8-wireless-connection-inside-hyper-v/

but its not working out.   :(

If the Virtualization forums are more server oriented, I'll take your advice and post in the W10 forums.

Thanks for the help.  :)

Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Jetta

You need to create an external switch to bind the virtual to the device.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 3:09 PM
  • With a bit of fiddling, its now working. Thanks.  :)

Saturday, February 21, 2015 5:50 PM
  • J

Happy to help but you did the heavy lifting.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 6:14 PM