Failed Validation Self-help: Cryptography check RRS feed

• Question

• Used the genuine diagnostic tool with the resolve option and here are the results. Also followed the more info link and re-register the listed .dll files still no results on fixing this issue. Please help, thanks in advance.

The following error(s) occured while trying to repair your computer configuration. To learn how to resolve each configuration error, click More Information.
    Diagnostic Error Error Code More Information
    Cryptography check 0x80096010 More Information

Friday, March 30, 2007 2:11 PM

Answers

• Steven,

Give this a try:

--Installing WGA Notifications Update Manually--

1) Go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498
    2) Once download is completed, run program.
    3) Follow directions.

Post back to let us know if it worked for you.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:43 PM
  • Steven:

The WGA Validation ActiveX control "legitcheckcontrol.dll" on your machine is not genuine itself - it is a modified binary that is not distributed by Microsoft that we cannot officially support here.

Where did you get this file from?

You can try a few steps that may resolve your issue: First, go to your command prompt and go to c:\windows\system32 and run the command "regsvr32 legitcheckcontrol.dll /u" which will unregister the file from your registry. After, try deleting the file from your c:\windows\system32 directory. Then go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows again.

If this does not work, you will most likely need to reinstall your copy of WIndows as we cannot support modified binary files.

-phil

Thursday, April 5, 2007 7:59 AM
  • Man,

Great I am glad to see you are operational again :-).  Take care.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, March 30, 2007 9:31 PM
  •  

Windows XP Home Media Edition came loaded from DELL, computer about one year old never had this problem till about 2 weeks ago, have always pulled updates and was validated right after purchase, haven't install any new software. COA has DELL on label. Dells solution is to completely restore computer trying not to have to do that, I called the DELL customer service they stated Windows problem can't help you see microsoft. Thanks

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Cryptographic Errors Detected
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****
    Windows Product Key Hash: ***********************
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00825
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    ID: 797a6825-92ec-4f83-8e16-9fe18b2d9171
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 9.3.265.0
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80096010
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 5
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>797a6825-92ec-4f83-8e16-9fe18b2d9171</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8CFT3</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00825</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1861347520-4275670242-4280708393</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Dell DM051                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A04</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060203000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>E0E936870184E06C</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Dimension DM051</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, March 30, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Steven,

Give this a try:

--Installing WGA Notifications Update Manually--

1) Go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498
    2) Once download is completed, run program.
    3) Follow directions.

Post back to let us know if it worked for you.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:43 PM
  • It didn't work. Says "We are unable to determine whether your copy of windows is genuine at this time"
    Monday, April 2, 2007 9:21 PM
  • By the way I went back and checked my update history and found that the problem started after the update KB905474 that was updated on 3/15/07 since that time genuine problem. Also it likes like the same update number came down on 7/20/06 and no problems at that time. The March 07 update shows to be installed "updated" successfully. Is there any way to remove the March 07 update and reinstall? I looked in add and remove software it doesn't show there, so I'm assuming it is now part of windows operating programming and can't be uninstalled. Which is not a good thing, looks like a complete restore or at least back to the 14th of March is my only option at this point. I know my windows is genuine from Dell and trying to comply with Microsoft's hoops to avoid software piracy by others has lead to my computer's operating system being screwed up. This is very frustrating at this time because this computer serves as a server for my home network as well as a VPN server for my work, It cost me $250.00 to have all of this setup by a local computer shop, so if I do a complete restore they will have to come back and setup all this again. I spoke to them yesterday and they said they have been receiving a lot of calls over the last 2-3 weeks with same problem. They also told me that a complete restore had helped some, but others started to receive the same message after updates where pulled. Is there a bug in this new update? I hope you can help get this fixed it's not that the computer will not work, but the alert continues to pop up very annoying, I tried to change the settings that doesn't work either. Thanks for your time.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:08 PM
  • Hello Steven,

Cryptography is not part of WGA (KB905474), Cryptography is a service that runs on your computer that allows WGA (and other programs) to read the Digital Signatures of files on your computer. If there are Cryptography errors, then WGA can not read the Digital Signatures and such, is unable to Validate the Genuine status of your Windows. Installing an older version of KB905474 (even if it was actually possible) would do nothing since it would still need to use the Cryptography service which is still encountering errors.

First we will want to confirm that the Cryptography service is currently running on your computer.

(Note: you will need to be logged in to the computer on an account that has Admin Permissions for the below steps to work)

1) Go to the Control Panel

2) Double click: Administrative Tools

3) Double click: Services

4) In the list of Services, locate Cryptography services

5) Right-Click: Cryptography services

6a) If "Start" is shown Grayed Out, than the service is already running.

7a) Click "Stop", wait a few sec, then click "Start"

6b) If "Start" is shown in Black, then the service is Not already running.

7b) Click "Start", to start the service

8) Retry the Diagnostic website to confirm the Cryptography issue is resolved. 

Post back and tell us if this resolved your issue.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 1:37 AM
  • Cryptography servcies was already started, so a stopped it and restarted, still no luck. If my crpytography service was the problem would I not be having other issues with programs that requires digital signature and certificates?
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Steven:

The WGA Validation ActiveX control "legitcheckcontrol.dll" on your machine is not genuine itself - it is a modified binary that is not distributed by Microsoft that we cannot officially support here.

Where did you get this file from?

You can try a few steps that may resolve your issue: First, go to your command prompt and go to c:\windows\system32 and run the command "regsvr32 legitcheckcontrol.dll /u" which will unregister the file from your registry. After, try deleting the file from your c:\windows\system32 directory. Then go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows again.

If this does not work, you will most likely need to reinstall your copy of WIndows as we cannot support modified binary files.

-phil

Thursday, April 5, 2007 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

My name is Man, i try to follow some of the instructions above but some i don't understand, you said try deleting the file from your c:\windows\system32 directory which files and please be more specific which files to delete. thanks in advanced

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:55 PM
  • Steven,

Would you mind to try this:  Locate LegitCheckControl.dll in C:\Windows\System32 directory.  Delete the said dll file. 

Go back to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine then hit validate.  It will install the activex again to validate. 

See if that will work.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:19 AM
  •  

man,

it have so many dll files which dll files

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:33 AM
  • thank you steve i got it work

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:38 AM
  • Man,

Great I am glad to see you are operational again :-).  Take care.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:27 PM