Downloads that require validation refuse to install.... RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning,

I have a strange problem for you. Before I go into detail, I should say that I have just finished a one and a half month support case with windows update support. Thier solution was that It was not a windows update problem, and I should contact windows XP support....

Windows XP support want's $35 just to let me send them an e-mail. So, I ended up here....

My problem is this:

Any program that uses WGA to validate my copy of windows before installing, such as this one, refuses to install. I follow all instructions, but go through an endless cycle of....

1.) open installer
    2.) installer stops, and says I need to validate
    3.) I validate, and pass
    4.) re-start installer (as instructed)
    5.) repeat at step 2

Other information:

- ActiveX is allowed

- Have used both local and web based tools to check for Spy/Adware, my system is clean.

- I use Firefox (v1.5.0.4) (IE is still selected as primary browser so I can get updates), and I have the WGA plug-ins for Firefox

- During the support case I was directed to download files and told to install them. These files were components to WGA

- The validation method that I am asked to perform varies, depending on whether I choose to run, or save the file to disk
    (Run = Validate w/IE, Save-then-Run = Validate with Firefox)

- Both validation methods pass (Either at the web page or with the file: legitcheck.hta)

- I can post my support case ID if it will help. If you guys can access it, I will be glad to post my ID.

- Have went through a myriad of validation/diagnostics already, but welcome any thoughts on this.

- I don't have any problem downloading anything other than "Validation Required" programs from MS

I don't feel this is an XP problem, after all one would think that if this was an XP problem (such as with installshield/windows installer) that nothing else would download either.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome, as I am completely baffled. - Thanks

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:04 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the reply...

As I said in the follow-up to my original post, I had missed another thread which details not only the exact problem that I was having, but also revealed the solution.

I had been having trouble trying to install the "Microsoft Video Screensaver". There was another thread here:

Http://Forums.Microsoft.com/Genuine/Showpost.aspx?postID=368098&SiteID=25

This thread revealed that there was apparently some kind of bug in the installer, which was exactly what I tried to report when I became involved with Windows Update Support over a month ago.

I have no error codes, etc... just the inability to install that one program, which is apparently buggy, as stated in the thread above.

I apologize for any confusion, and thanks for the links.

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:06 AM

All replies

• Oops, please disregard previous post.

Just noticed this thread about the same thing.

I wish I'd have seen this over a month ago. You guys might want to let Windows Update Support in on this little secret, because they seem to be clueless on the subject.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:52 PM
  • Ghost:

Can you list out which programs are having installation issues? Can you also give me the error codes you're seeing? (form of 0x.... - example 0x80008000 or so.)

-phil liu

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:43 AM
  • Ghost,

Windows Update email support is free.  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=6527

WGA email support is free.  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=9860

Have a look at this page, click on each subcategory to see how much each is.  Some are free:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&c1=509&GSSProdSelMore509

Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:02 AM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

Ghost:

Can you list out which programs are having installation issues? Can you also give me the error codes you're seeing? (form of 0x.... - example 0x80008000 or so.)

-phil liu

Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:02 AM
  • Thank you for the reply...

As I said in the follow-up to my original post, I had missed another thread which details not only the exact problem that I was having, but also revealed the solution.

I had been having trouble trying to install the "Microsoft Video Screensaver". There was another thread here:

Http://Forums.Microsoft.com/Genuine/Showpost.aspx?postID=368098&SiteID=25

This thread revealed that there was apparently some kind of bug in the installer, which was exactly what I tried to report when I became involved with Windows Update Support over a month ago.

I have no error codes, etc... just the inability to install that one program, which is apparently buggy, as stated in the thread above.

I apologize for any confusion, and thanks for the links.

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:06 AM
  •  Ghost Spider wrote:

Good Morning,

I have a strange problem for you. Before I go into detail, I should say that I have just finished a one and a half month support case with windows update support. Thier solution was that It was not a windows update problem, and I should contact windows XP support....

Windows XP support want's $35 just to let me send them an e-mail. So, I ended up here....

My problem is this:

Any program that uses WGA to validate my copy of windows before installing, such as this one, refuses to install. I follow all instructions, but go through an endless cycle of....

1.) open installer
    2.) installer stops, and says I need to validate
    3.) I validate, and pass
    4.) re-start installer (as instructed)
    5.) repeat at step 2

Other information:

- ActiveX is allowed

- Have used both local and web based tools to check for Spy/Adware, my system is clean.

- I use Firefox (v1.5.0.4) (IE is still selected as primary browser so I can get updates), and I have the WGA plug-ins for Firefox

- During the support case I was directed to download files and told to install them. These files were components to WGA

- The validation method that I am asked to perform varies, depending on whether I choose to run, or save the file to disk
    (Run = Validate w/IE, Save-then-Run = Validate with Firefox)

- Both validation methods pass (Either at the web page or with the file: legitcheck.hta)

- I can post my support case ID if it will help. If you guys can access it, I will be glad to post my ID.

- Have went through a myriad of validation/diagnostics already, but welcome any thoughts on this.

- I don't have any problem downloading anything other than "Validation Required" programs from MS

I don't feel this is an XP problem, after all one would think that if this was an XP problem (such as with installshield/windows installer) that nothing else would download either.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome, as I am completely baffled. - Thanks

Gee? u hit the nail right on the head. I'm just as baffled as u are. I passed all of the Validations, and it's still telling me that i could be a victim of counterfeit windows, with all that said and done it brought me here along with the rest of the guys that are having problems like us. U no bud i  really wish that i could help u because i'm about to through this computer out the window, that's how fustrated i am. I wish u all the best, if u get lucky with the problem that u are having, it would be much appreciated if u come back on this web site and post so that everyone can learn your secret to the problem. Take care

Friday, June 16, 2006 11:09 PM
  • you need security certificates to be idenified. you need to install.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:59 AM