Vista UAC users can not write to WHS non storage share? RRS feed

• Question

• I setup a non storage pool share on WHS.
    The drive has existing data on it.

I used RDC to set the permissions on the WHS box.
    Everyone can read
    Specific Vista User and read/write

Problem is the Vista user cannot write to the drive while UAC turned on.

If I use the Vista Users name and password from a XP machine or with UAC off all is fine they can read and write to the WHS share.

How do I setup non storage pool sharing on WHS to allow Vista UAC users write access?

Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:46 PM

All replies

• This sounds more like a problem with Vista than Windows Home Server, though I'll point out in passing that the creation of shares using any mechanism other than the Windows Home Server console is technically "unsupported". You might want to ask in Microsoft's Vista newsgroups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:47 PM
  •  Thanks Ken, I'll do that.

You mentioned sharing non storage pool drives is unsupported on WHS?

Any risk in doing so?

I have a number of drives with existing data I wanted to share,
    I prefer to keep the drives as is so they are portable to other machines if needed,
    they are also easier to clone for offsite backups that way.

I know I could share drives without WHS but I like it's client backup feature.
    If I'm risking my non storage pool data maybe WHS is not the right choice?

Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:05 PM
  • I understand why you want to keep your external drives as they are, and risk is small, to be honest. But it's not non-existent. The main risk you run is that, because WHS is designed to have complete control over all the hardware in/connected to your server, you could e.g. add the wrong drive to the storage pool, formatting it and destroying all the data on it.

My opinion is that most people who want to preserve their data would be better off copying it into the server's shares and turning on duplication (might need to add a couple of large drives for this), then using the server share backup feature that was added with Power Pack 1 to clone the data back to the external drive for off-site storage.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Hi,
    there may be two instances, where you have to set the permissions:
    NTFS permissions on the security tab: These determine, who has which permissions accessing the folder locally or via different shares.
    Share permissions: These are set to Everyone - Read per default on a new created share. These permissions filter on top of the NTFS permissions, who has which permissions if accessing solely over this share.
    So if you forgot to alter one of both, you will experience the described behavior, but on all machines (and not only on Vista).

For me this experience sounds strange, since I have never seen problems writing to network with Vista + UAC, only writing to local folders may be blocked.
    So which version of Vista do you run?
    Do you use a direct share or a mapped network drive?
    Do you try to access the shared root of the drive or a shared subfolder on that drive (this would be the better method, since in Vista the root of a drive is more protected, could be a side effect of this)?
    Please also check the event log of the server, especially the security log.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 6:45 PM