Windows 2003 enterprise server OEM refusal to send restore. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Mr. Harris,

The ownership transfer did go through successfully. Unfortunately I am unable to send the Win 2K3 media as the only media we have is the R2 version and that will not work. If the company registered the product with MS, they may be able to replace the disk. I apologize for my mistake. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Alex Jones
    Mon.-Fri. 8:30AM or 9:00AM to 5:30PM or 6:00PM (flexible schedule)
    Dell Enterprise Hardware Support
    1-800-822-8965"

Hi Mr. Harris,

Thank you for contacting Dell Enterprise eSupport Services; my name is Tony and I will be assisting you with this issue. 

Unfortunately, the system has been out of warranty since 2007, so I won't be able to send any replacement media out.  Even if the system were under warranty, we no longer warehouse the version of windows you purchased with the server.

If you would like to purchase an operating system, I can arrange for a sales person to contact you directly.  Just let me know.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance on this one.

Thanks for choosing Dell

Respectfully,

Tony  L.  Ellis
    DTC46510 - 31256888
    Office Hours 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM CST, Monday - Friday

"

So does this mean we once again have to pay for our Operating Systems?

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hello patkh,

It sounds like you purchased a used Dell server that came with an edition of Windows Server 2003 preinstalled from Dell (OEM license).

Apparently you were successful in transfering Dell's record of ownership from the previous owner to you.  Unfortunately, your request to get a set of installation discs for Server 2003 was not able to be fulfilled by Dell.

It's a long shot, but try the contact information in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Good Luck! :-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:00 AM