Stock/Investment Separate Cash/Account Register RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been using MS Money for years.  My 4 other accounts all allow data downloads to the data is all imported (no manual data entry).

I've recently opened a Robinhood account to try out the $0 commission system they offer.  Being new and low cost they don't offer the ability to down load history data (yet hopefully).

I've manually created an account and entering the history data (cash deposits, buys, sells, etc).

I enter the deposits in the cash account section.  I entered the buy transaction in the cash account.  It will not allow me to enter the sell transaction into the cash account section but takes me to the investment account section.  I enter the data there (making sure to transfer to the correct cash account).  After I do this the data is segregated from the cash data by a line.  It is not registering that the shares have been sold in the account or when I run a capital gains report.

If I enter both the buy AND sell in the investment account section instead of the cash account section, both are segregated from the cash account by a line and neither the buy or sell are registering as being purchased or sold.

Does anyone know what is going on?  I've never had an issue like this in all these years being about to import the data.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 5:12 PM

All replies

• I believe that all buy and sell transactions should be entered in the investment account.  I am not sure what you mean by:

"the data is segregated from the cash data by a line"

Maybe you could post a (suitably obscured) screen shot?

To debug this, I would set up a test account and enter a single deposit to the cash account and then a single buy in the investment account.  After you do that, does the Account Summary reflect the correct holding and cash balance?

Bill Becker

Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:38 AM
  • If it is present in your version, tick
    Tools->Settings->AccountSettings(global)->DisplayAllAccountsInTheAdvancedAccountRegister

That is the setting that we are familiar with. If you have no such setting available, what version of Microsoft Money are you using?

Are any of the transactions that you have entered dated in the future?

Are you on the Account Register pages where it says Account Summary, Investment Transactions, an Cash Transactions in the left column?

Thursday, September 3, 2015 4:25 AM
  • Thanks for the response!  Sorry for the delay but I've been out of town.

I decided to delete all the entries (without deleting the account) and re-entered it all and it is fine now.  Not sure what I did differently but it works now.

Thanks again!
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Thanks for the response!  Sorry for the delay but I've been out of town.

I decided to delete all the entries (without deleting the account) and re-entered it all and it is fine now.  Not sure what I did differently but it works now.

Thanks again!
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:06 PM