none
Exam 740: Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I'm currently studying for my Microsoft 740 certificate. My employer agreed to give me a few hours/days per week to prepare for the exam.. But he also asked me when I think I will be ready to pass the exam.

Since this is the first time I'm preparing for a Microsoft certificate it's very hard to say how much time it will take.. every person is different and fixing a date is difficult.

But could you (out of experience) tell me what is a possible average to be ready for this exam? I know every person is different, but if I would love to have a benchmark to see whether my planning is feasible or not.

I have everything I need at my disposal: Official Microsoft material (e-books, labs,..) and a VM with Windows Server 2016 installed. 

Thanks in advance!

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:39 AM

Answers

• For my first exams I probably spent at least 1-2 months on them a piece.  I also kind of took my time and practiced the majority of the things that were said would be covered.  If you are trying to power through all of your studying and are given time to work on them, you can probably be prepared in 1 month if you work at it a couple hours every day.  If you don't work on it every day or that much time per day you might be looking for a little longer, just to be on the safe side of things.  You may need to adjust for more time if you haven't taken any classes or worked with servers before as well.

The best way to see if you're prepared is to look at some of the lab objectives and then without looking at the books be able to do the task.

This is all my personal experience and what I did/do to get myself prepared for exams. 

Monday, September 25, 2017 5:35 PM

All replies

• For my first exams I probably spent at least 1-2 months on them a piece.  I also kind of took my time and practiced the majority of the things that were said would be covered.  If you are trying to power through all of your studying and are given time to work on them, you can probably be prepared in 1 month if you work at it a couple hours every day.  If you don't work on it every day or that much time per day you might be looking for a little longer, just to be on the safe side of things.  You may need to adjust for more time if you haven't taken any classes or worked with servers before as well.

The best way to see if you're prepared is to look at some of the lab objectives and then without looking at the books be able to do the task.

This is all my personal experience and what I did/do to get myself prepared for exams. 

Monday, September 25, 2017 5:35 PM
  • Dear ZapZap279

Thank you for your response! I heard from my boss that "8 days should be enough" but when I saw the study material I didn't agree haha. 

I work on it approxi 16 hours a week.. I hope it will be enough to pass the exam next month. I bought the book 70-740 that covers everything that could come up on the exam but it doesn't seem enough.. there are no exercises in this book. A few cases but that's it. Do you know if I can find some free (relevant) practice tests online or something like that?

Thanks again

Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:44 AM
  • 8 days maybe if you're familiar with the server or have had experience with other server versions because a lot of the knowledge is the same and only a few really new things in it.

For study material I don't really know of any free practice tests, I'm sure google can provide a couple but I wouldn't be able to attest to them.  I've used Transcender in the past and they have practice exams and virtual labs but they're a bit pricey but well worth the investment if you aren't confident with the material as you finish the book.  Measureup is another good source of practice tests, they usually run about the same price as well though.  I think they both have demos you can try to see if they might be something you'd be interested in. Both offer a money back guarantee if you fail within a certain period of time.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 1:27 PM