Error retrieving backup data RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everybody, I'm hoping one of you guru's can help me. I recently had a catastrophic failure of my computer and my backup hard drive at the same time. After performing a clean Windows 10 Pro install. I'm having a problem when I try to examine my WHS backup. On WHS Dashboard under Computers and Backup, double click on computer name, double click on successful backup. Inside the dialog box the message Error retrieving backup data. When I see the error the backup status changes to unknown for all the backups and then returns to normal after I close the dialog box. Troubleshooting so far. I've removed my computer. Deleted my backup. Ran database cleanup. Added my computer. Performed another backup. Same symptom. Removed Client Backup Database. Performed a backup. Same symptom. Tried to open backup from another computer. Same symptom. WHS registry?

• Edited by Technogod Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:49 PM

All replies

• I found it. The problem was in the registry. When my computer failed it wasn't removed. I changed the name of my computer when I performed a clean install. I removed my computer and changed its name back to the original name. Removed connector software. I added my computer and backups are now functioning properly.
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. Also, thank you for taking the time to update the result. Your detail sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:58 AM
  • I spoke too soon. I was able to retrieve the boot partition but when I tried to retrieve the data partition the error returned.
    Friday, March 10, 2017 5:01 AM
  • This is very strange. I can boot from a recovery flash drive on another computer and restore my backup.
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to re-start the WHS 2011 in clean boot(without any 3rd party process), then, open Services, make sure that services that have names beginning with “Windows Server” are running. 

Besides, check Event Viewer to see if any event has been logged.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:41 AM
  • After the server made several new backups I was able to select a backup without the error. I was still unable to restore files. I don't know if this had anything to do with it. I had to install .NET Framework 2.0 for another program I was installing. Since the first two backups gave the original error I decided to remove the computer one more time. Guess what! After adding the computer and performing a backup I'm now able to restore files. Yippee!
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your posting here and sharing the resolution.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:00 AM