DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are using a DNS provider which does not support SRV records. Previously on the private beta i could configure the A record sip.travelcounsellors.com and give it my edge server IP address and this would allow auto configuration of the ocs client.

Now it appears on the public beta that it does not lookup the sip host for my domain.

Can someone provide an exact list of what hosts are looked up when using the auto configuration of the client?

Thanks

Anthony

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:32 PM

Answers

• The OCS_EdgeServerDelpoy.doc says the following:

For each supported SIP domain in our organization, an external DNS A record for sip.  <domain>.com that points to the external IP address of the Access Edge Server. If you have multiple SIP domains, you need a DNS SRV record for each. If a client cannot perform an SRV record lookup to connect to the Access Edge server it will use this A record as a fallback.

But, a Network Monitor sniff of a failed auto configuration shows only:

_sipinternaltls._tcp.domain.com

_sipinternal._tcp.domain.com

_sip._tls.domain.com

_sip._tcp.domain.com

Perhaps this is a bug in the client beta.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:31 PM

All replies

• The OCS_EdgeServerDelpoy.doc says the following:

For each supported SIP domain in our organization, an external DNS A record for sip.  <domain>.com that points to the external IP address of the Access Edge Server. If you have multiple SIP domains, you need a DNS SRV record for each. If a client cannot perform an SRV record lookup to connect to the Access Edge server it will use this A record as a fallback.

But, a Network Monitor sniff of a failed auto configuration shows only:

_sipinternaltls._tcp.domain.com

_sipinternal._tcp.domain.com

_sip._tls.domain.com

_sip._tcp.domain.com

Perhaps this is a bug in the client beta.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Peety is correct and this will be the case with the RTM version.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:47 PM
  • does this mean that jou cant autoconnect with the public beta?

Thursday, May 3, 2007 11:28 AM
  • Not at all.

Register the appropriate SRV records with your DNS servers:

_sipinternaltls._tcp.domanin.com internally

_sip_.tls_domain.com externally

Microsoft has a public DNS record for _sip._tls.microsoft.com registered for port 443 pointing to 131.109.119.20.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:20 PM
  • I logged this with premier support and they told me that the A record lookup will be fixed in the Release Candidate release.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:39 PM