Windows Home Server 2011 Launchpad and Dashboard can't connect to server from client computer

Question

• I have just installed WHS 2011 and I noticed an issue with conectivity. When I first start up the box everything works normally. After about an hour or so I can't connect to the server with the launchpad or dashboard (launchpad says the server is offline and the dashboard says a connection to the server cannot be found). However I can still access the server's web page and network shares. What I did notice is that If i do a remote desktop connection into the server then the launchpad and dashboard start working again for about another hour. I also noticed that when the dashboard and launchpad don't want to connect the server backup doesn't run. (I am am not sure about client backups). Please help!
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:03 AM

All replies

• I have just installed WHS 2011 and I noticed an issue with conectivity. When I first start up the box everything works normally. After about an hour or so I can't connect to the server with the launchpad or dashboard (launchpad says the server is offline and the dashboard says a connection to the server cannot be found). However I can still access the server's web page and network shares. What I did notice is that If i do a remote desktop connection into the server then the launchpad and dashboard start working again for about another hour. I also noticed that when the dashboard and launchpad don't want to connect the server backup doesn't run. (I am am not sure about client backups). Please help!
    I have seen this also - which has caused my backup to fail.  Only a reboot restores connection.  I have a feeling there are some may systemic issues with 2011.  This is not the only issue I am seeing.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Hi,
    First thing that comes to mind:
    Could it be you changed your severs power profile making it go into idle/sleep mode after "about an hour"?

Does this problem occur on all clients that are connected to the server?
    If not, this could be a client or network related problem.

You may also want to check the servers and/or clients eventlist for any "unusual" warnings or events arround the time launchpad goes offline that might be related to this problem.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:08 PM
  • This started happening to me after I deployed the latest windows update on my clients yesterday. Specifically, clients that are Windows Server 2008R2 cannot connect to server anymore.

Perhaps that latest update fiddled with firewall settings?

I have not yet tried to reinstall connector software.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:21 PM
  • LarsV, you stated that your WS2008R2 clients can't connect anymore.  How did you manage to install the client on WS2008 R2 in the first place?  When I try to install the client I get an error stating that the OS is not supported.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:04 AM
  • On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 00:04:00 +0000, Marty42 wrote:

LarsV, you stated that your WS2008R2 clients can't connect anymore. ?How did you manage to install the client on WS2008 R2 in the first place? ?When I try to install the client I get an error stating that the OS is not supported.

You either need to update your R2 clients to SP1 or you need to modify the
    supportedOS.xml file in:

C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package

Change this line:

<OS id="6" Name="Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1"
    Build="7600" SPMajor="1" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite=""
    RequiredProductType="3" Architecture="9"/>

and remove the 1 between the quotes in the SPMajor value.

Note that the above line won't allow you to back up a domain controller.
    If, in addition to normal servers, you need to back up one of more domain
    controllers, you'll need to duplicate that line and change the
    RequiredProductType entry to 2.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Chip:  Any number of small crunchy objects often served with onion dip.

Friday, April 15, 2011 6:33 AM
  • I am seeing this problem as well, although I haven't tested to see it starts working after a server reboot... actually I just tried that and no change for me.

Here is my scenario:

Just installed WHS 2011 RTM [6.1.7601] on a GA-EP45-UD3P based server.

- We have Windows and Mac clients

- Was able to connect using either http://server/connect or http://192.168.1.3/connect and install the connector software on both Windows and Mac clients.

- Then, some time later (or the very next day) NO new clients Windows or Mac, can install the connector software. We can connect and download the connector software from either machine, as mentioned above, but when you launch the installation, you get "Your server cannot be located." or "Cannot connect to the specified server name or IP". We have tried with "server" and "192.168.1.3", same result.

- We CAN still see the server shares from all clients and have full access to them.

- Clients that already have the connector software installed WORK PERFECTLY still.

- We have only 4 computers installed / acknowledged by WHS 2011 as seen under Computers and Backup in the Dashboard.

- We have every update available installed for both the server and all clients (including our Macs).

Please help as we are stuck at this point.

Thanks.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Must say I have not seen anything of this so I have no idea what might be the problem.

Would you guys please report this on Connect?

(Best to add both client and server logs to your feedback)
    This hopefully will enable the team at Connect to find out what is wrong with your servers.
    - Theo.

PS - Would be helpfull if you also posted your feedback number to this thread so anyone else having this problem can validate your feedback as a "me to" or add additional infromation.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Thank you Paul, that fixed the issue!
    Monday, April 18, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Same thing happening here.  I applied the latest Windows Updates on the home server and now the clients cannot sign into the Launchpad.  Very strange as I can ping the server and manually browse to shares without any issues.  Client machines are Windows 7 SP1.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Some additional information - I am running WHS 2011 RC, rather than RTM. I'm away from home for a few weeks now, so I cannot do any testing for a while.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:35 AM
  • How would I modify the supportedOS.xml file to install the client on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86 "domain controller" client?

I'd like to have WHS 2011 back up both this domain controller AND another server running WinServ2008 R2.

This used to work fine with WHS v1. It's a "pain" that it doesn't in WHS 2011.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Denis Repke

Denis W. Repke
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:41 PM
  • On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 22:41:15 +0000, Denis Repke wrote:

I'd like to have WHS 2011 back up both this domain controller AND another server running WinServ2008 R2.

You might want to read my post again.

Paul Adare
    The program is absolutely right; therefore, the computer must be wrong.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:52 PM
  • <You might want to read my post again.>

I did. Several times. It gives the specifics for WinServ2008R2 but NOT for WinServ2008 (not R2) SP2 x86.

My Windows Server 2008 domain controller is on a 32-bit box so I could not install R2. I had to settle for the x86 version of Windows Server 2008.

I've tried adding this line to the "supportedOD.xml" files:

<OS Architecture="9" RequiredProductType="2" RequiredSuite="" ExcludedSuite="" SPMinor="" SPMajor="2" Build="6001" Minor="0" Major="6" Name="Windows Server 2008 SP2, x86" id="9"/>

but it does NOT work.

Am I missing something? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Denis W. Repke
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Must say I have not seen anything of this so I have no idea what might be the problem.

Would you guys please report this on Connect?

(Best to add both client and server logs to your feedback)
    This hopefully will enable the team at Connect to find out what is wrong with your servers.
    - Theo.

PS - Would be helpfull if you also posted your feedback number to this thread so anyone else having this problem can validate your feedback as a "me to" or add additional infromation.

I have the same problem. Where in connect can we report it? The best option seems to be send an email to WHSBeta@Microsoft.com , is that still valid? It doesn't spread the issue too. I am connecting using IPv6 and issues also started after a update. All computers connected to the server may or may not connect. It's like WHS2011 goes to sleep. I have SharePoint running on the server too and it works fine the whole time. Accessing file works too, just not the connector or even RDP to access the server. A reboot of the server, or logging back in to the server from a client seems to wake it sometimes. I will try Paul's solution mentioned earlier.
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Two days ago my WHS2011 magically began to let me connect to it again after not working for four weeks. I am trying to figure out what I changed but I am not sure.

One thing that comes to mind is that on the WHS side I uninstalled one of the latest updates from Windows Update, a patch for C++ runtime installed around 4/12 or so (actually two patches - x86 and x64 version). There was no immediate improvement after uninstall, only a few reboots later did I notice that connect was working again:

====================================================

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (KB2467173)

Installation date: ‎4/‎12/‎2011 7:14 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified leading to MFC application vulnerability in DLL planting due to MFC not specifying the full path to system/localization DLLs.  You can protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft.  After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

=======================================================

Another thing - I fiddled with the C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\supportedOS.xml, but I'm not even sure that that file is used. Come to think of it, I only updated the W2008R2 entry to SP1, while a little later even my Windows 7 clients had their connect issues resolved. So it's still a mystery.

Lars

• Edited by LarsV Sunday, May 08, 2011 7:56 PM Additional info about KB
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 7:52 PM
  • On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:52:53 +0000, LarsV wrote:

Another thing - I fiddled with the C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\supportedOS.xml, but I'm not even sure that that file is used.

It is most definitely used, but only during the installation of the
    Connector software.

Paul Adare
    What this country needs is a good five-cent microcomputer.

Monday, May 09, 2011 4:10 AM
  • I may have a solution, well it worked for me. I kept working the IPv6 angle. All of my computers have IPv6 and it is automatically enabled in Win7 by default. I got the connector software by putting in the server name, it automatically directed me to the IPv6 address. My router handles IPv6, I turned it on, enabled IPv6 DHCP, and I've had no problems since. The server shows up on the network map every time, and the connector and dashboard have connected every time for 2 days now. Check your connector software download and after the file name in brackets in the IP address it will connect with, see if it is IPv4 or IPv6. You can force a IPv4 download by putting in the IPv4 address instead of just the server name. Everything works fine now for me.
    • Proposed as answer by grimmace1 Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:32 PM
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:37 AM
  • I like that hypothesis! Certainly explains my problems. I think we've seen MS gradually ramping up the use of IPv6. I'm speculating that all it took for my setup to get past this problem was a router reboot - which I rarely do - to get the local name resolution working again. This could also explain why the problem has not been widespread.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:02 AM
  • I like that hypothesis! Certainly explains my problems. I think we've seen MS gradually ramping up the use of IPv6. I'm speculating that all it took for my setup to get past this problem was a router reboot - which I rarely do - to get the local name resolution working again. This could also explain why the problem has not been widespread.

I would think it will become an issue for anyone using WHS2011 and Win7. Win7 has IPv6 built in and turned on automatically. Even though my routers IPv6 options were not turned on, the individual computers all went through IPv6, or tried too. People will need to go to the IPv4 server site and not use the server name which will default to IPv6 apparently. If your router supports IPv6, turn it on and your set. I thought I still had some time before I had to set up IPv6 everywhere, guess not. Newer routers will have IPv6, mine did after an upgrade. Anyone else try this? Or try to change all of the connector software to IPv4 versions and see what happens?
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:37 PM