301 redirect affects ranking? RRS feed

• Question

• Last week, I placed a 301 redirect on my old site (peneplainmusic.home.comcast.net) to my new site peneplainmusic.com.  I had top ten rankings for my old site for most of my keywords and phrases.  As of today, both old and new sites have dropped out of site (>50) on these keywords.  MSN search  currently indexes both the old an new site.

What happened and how can I reestablish the ranking?

n.b.  Google and Yahoo just replaced my old URL with the new URL in their search results.  No change in ranking
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:50 PM

Answers

• Peneplain,

We are having issues with 301 redirects at this time.  We are working hard to make improvements in this area and we will get it right but it is most likely that the 301s are at the heart of your issue. 

Jeremiah

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

Peneplain,

As of today, I am showing that we have indexed around 150 pages (compared to Google's 18). We are trying to hunt down the cause of the 301 issues and would like to know:

1. How did you institute the 301 redirect originally

2. Did you change anything after Jeremiah said we weren't handling 301s well

Thank you for your assistance.

Brett

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:49 PM

All replies

• Peneplain,

We are having issues with 301 redirects at this time.  We are working hard to make improvements in this area and we will get it right but it is most likely that the 301s are at the heart of your issue. 

Jeremiah

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

Peneplain,

As of today, I am showing that we have indexed around 150 pages (compared to Google's 18). We are trying to hunt down the cause of the 301 issues and would like to know:

1. How did you institute the 301 redirect originally

2. Did you change anything after Jeremiah said we weren't handling 301s well

Thank you for your assistance.

Brett

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:49 PM

• Hi Brett,

Does that mean there are problems with all 301's?  Like 301 http://mysite.com to http://www.mysite.com - is there a problem with this also.

Any chance of being more specific?

Thanks

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:11 PM