What are bots?? RRS feed

• Question

• What are bots?? are they any hack tools.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 11:42 AM

All replies

• Bots are programs which run on servers and handle requests. I am not a hacker, but i dont think that bots can be used for hacking.

Especially if you are referring to the bot hack in yahoo 3-5 years back.... Everything is much more secure now. If you are so interested, i suggest you join a ethical hacking course and you can find a lot of material on the internet.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:27 PM
  •  

Well, beside the regular googlebots, there's

MediaBot - used to analyze AdSense pages
    user agent "Mediapartners-google"

ImageBot - crawling for the Image Search
    user agent "googleBot-Image"

AdsBot - checking AdWords landing pages for quality
    user agent "AdsBot-google"

Monday, May 21, 2007 12:20 AM
  • absolutely. There are bots running even in messengers, bots in irc chat programs, etc.. The list is endless.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Bot is a shortform for Robot. They are just small programs that does some automated thing. It can be anything. They act as robots in a computer. There can be messenger bots, that can give auto reply for the messages. Bots are also used by google for searching. etc etc
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 4:38 PM
  • bots refer to a large number of things for me bots are the computer controlled players in counter strike game
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:21 PM
  • As stated earlier, Bot is the short form for Robots. However, we generally tend use bots as comparatively intelligent software agents, mostly existing on the web.
    The types of bots are:
    • Internet bot, a type of computer program to do automated tasks
      • Botnet, a network of "zombie" computers used to do automated tasks such as spamming or reversing spamming
      • Botsourcing, the assignment of tasks to an automated, or intelligent, programmed agent
      • Computer game bot, a computer controlled player or opponent
    • Alienware Bot, a brand of desktop computer
    • BOTS, a computer game
    • Chatterbot, a computer program designed to simulate an intelligent conversation with a human
    • Robot, a mechanical device that can perform physical tasks

Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:01 PM
  • this is what wiki has to say....

Internet bots, also known as web robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human editor alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering, in which an automated script fetches, analyses and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. Each server can have a file called robots.txt containing rules for the spidering of that server that the bot is supposed to obey.

In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (eg gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Really good explanation  Anoop and Arijit Smile Thanks.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:06 PM
  • ahh related to my project.

well, BOTS are software programs which run automated tasks
    these tasks can be simple or complex etc.

we have BOTS for weather forecasting, CHATTING, zip information, used in enquiry etc.
    these bots actually have conversation with either humans or other machines.
    google it. you will get many info
    Friday, May 25, 2007 12:24 PM
  • ahh related to my project.

well, BOTS are software programs which run automated tasks
    these tasks can be simple or complex etc.

we have BOTS for weather forecasting, CHATTING, zip information, used in enquiry etc.
    these bots actually have conversation with either humans or other machines.
    google it. you will get much info
    Friday, May 25, 2007 12:24 PM
  • @sunder, if you have found your query, then please take some effort to mark some posts as answers or mark it as helpful...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 12:51 PM