KB938979 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have Vista Businiess. When I drag files in Windows Explorer it will get stuck and closes itself. The analysis of the shut down is that I should download KB938979. However when I try this it says that this updat does not apply to my Vista Business. But it is in the list as one of the Vista versions that could need this updat.

So, my original problem is not resolved and I can not instaal the download.

Clearly, I need help.

Sjors

Monday, October 15, 2007 10:35 AM

Answers

• If you have the 32-bit version of Vista installed, downloaded the update for the 32-bit version.  If you have a 64-bit version, download the 64-bit version.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:35 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2007 2:17 PM

All replies

• If you have the 32-bit version of Vista installed, downloaded the update for the 32-bit version.  If you have a 64-bit version, download the 64-bit version.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:35 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2007 2:17 PM
  • I have the 32-bit and I tried to download the 32-bit KB938979. But it still said there were no downloads for my system, when I tried to download and install this version. So, no cure.

Sjors

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:03 PM
  • Dear Carey,

I have the 32-bit and I tried to download the 32-bit KB938979.

I passed the validation process.

Then I started the download of file 'Windows6.0-KB938979-x86.msu' from 'download.microsoft.com', by instructing 'open'.

Then it asks if the action 'starting Windows Update Standalone Installer' can contiue.

Then its says 'preparation completed'.

Then it says 'searching for updates'.

Finally it gives the following message: 'the update does not apply to your system'.

So, no cure.

Sjors1

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:41 AM
  •  Sjors1 wrote:

Dear Carey,

I have the 32-bit and I tried to download the 32-bit KB938979.

I passed the validation process.

Then I started the download of file 'Windows6.0-KB938979-x86.msu' from 'download.microsoft.com', by instructing 'open'.

Then it asks if the action 'starting Windows Update Standalone Installer' can contiue.

Then its says 'preparation completed'.

Then it says 'searching for updates'.

Finally it gives the following message: 'the update does not apply to your system'.

So, no cure.

Sjors1

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Well, my Windows Explorer is barely useable now crashing ALL the time. I tried this update, but it always ends with 'update not for your system'. I tried BOTH 32 and 64 bit version. Guess I will reinstall Vista Real Soon Now. Never had this with XP.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 4:44 PM
  • Sjors

Carey is.. as he pointed out just a volunteer and not a  microsfot employee. he is trying to help but apparently this is an issue with more than one person since the exact same thing has been happening to me. I failed to install the update completely. Unless we get feedback from Microsoft.. I believe there is no point in trying again!

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I too have the exact same problem, for a while now.

Windows Explorer keeps crashing.. update/patch don't work.

Tried both (32 and 64bit) patch. "This update does not apply to your system". I don't know if reinstalling Vista will help, because I have this problem since day 1 after a clean install..

Hopefully they become aware of this issue!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:33 AM
  • I received a VISTA notification asking that I download and install this update. Upon doing so I experienced the same problem that you did. I pass the validation process, downloaded the *.msu file to my VISTA-Buisness Desktop and ran the application. The results on my system are the same: "does not apply to your system".

I am hoping that a performance update is available soon, that will work on my system.

My fingers are crossed.

Gary

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Quoting  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

" APPLIES TO

Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Business
    Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Windows Vista Ultimate "

I have Windows Vista Business.. Hopefully they fix this soon.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:05 PM
  • When I try to install the KB938979 update i get the error message "The update does not apply to your system". I am running Windows Vista Ultimate.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:56 AM
  • Carey, do ou know if there is still no solution to this problem?

It's almost impossible to work with Vista in that way. I get the error multiple times a day. I almost can't replace files, I have to try several times and hope I won't get this error.. really frustrating!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:37 PM
  • I have Windows Vista Ultimate, the windows explorer crashes many times a day. It often crashes when I open UNC shares, and it almost always crashes when I download a file and choose open directly. It also crashes when I try to browse to another server \\servername\c$.. I will go through all the hardware IO drivers from HP to see if this will fix the problem. Well, on the same machine I used to run Windows Vista Business edtion, then I had none of these problems.

I also have problems installing the KB938979, it starts the setup and then gives me the error message that I have a non compatible operating system.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:14 PM