New Number... Option is greyed out RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am attempting to use Office Communicator 2007 to place a call to a cell phone. Communicator calls work fine but we are unable to dial outside phone numbers.

I am not sure where to start on this one. The validation checks all come back good. The BPA doesn't indicate a problem.

We have a Mediation server and a Dialogic Gateway.

Why can't I dial an outside number.

Thanks

B

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:02 PM

Answers

• Found a post that said do not install the Mediation Server role on a Virtual. We were running on a virtual.

Installed it fresh with the exact same settings on a physical server and it is working fine.

thanks

B

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:18 PM

All replies

• Are you familiar with the route helper tool from the OCS resource kit?  This tool will allow you to test the normalization rules in your location profile and ensure that call routing works.  If this checks out then you may simply need to assign the location profile to the client.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:21 AM
  • I checked the normalization rules. They appear fine.

To be more specific, if I attempt to dial an outside number that is populated(cell phone for example) it places the call, connects, but then there is no audio.

thanks

B

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:44 PM
  •  

I'm no expert - but I've had issues like this & resolved them.  For me - it was one of the following...

Start with the easy stuff - is your Mediaition server actually running?  Check it from the OCS admin panel on the server.

If it's running - I found it's one of these 2..

1) It's a routing issue from the gateway back to the mediation server.

On the dialogic - see if there are any settings that offer some sort of NAT settings (as in - behind a NAT - set it to yes) or RTP reinvite settings, (you do not want any reinvites).  If you are sure this is all correct - try dialling in.  It should ring the OC client on the desk.

OR

2) Can you dial in & ring the OC client on the desk from the outside world - and when answered - all the voice sounds OK - but you can NEVER dial out?

I had this in two different installs.  All incoming calls - no problems.  Calls to PSTN numbers never go out from OCS - and everything should be working (including dialling rules), but you can never dial out?  Event logs on the OCS server shows timeouts on the Mediaiton server - but the mediaition server is idle.  Reboots of both server's or gateways does nothing - the issue is still the same.

Remove the mediation software (use deactivate & force a deactivation) from the server - reboot - reinstall it.  Works fine after that & continues to work.  Sounds odd - worked for me...

Edit - hang on, you did say you could dial out & ring the outside number & connect - therefore - I'd be looking at networking or routing settings on the Dialogic...

Hope this helps...

Paul Adams

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Found a post that said do not install the Mediation Server role on a Virtual. We were running on a virtual.

Installed it fresh with the exact same settings on a physical server and it is working fine.

thanks

B

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:18 PM