Purchased pre loaded windows from another world leader in IT and no support RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a HP Pavillion three years ago with windows pre loaded. Paid top price from a well known high street retailer (STAPLES) to ensure that I got a genuine product that all the family could use. Now getting constant reminders that feel like a threat about my system not being genuine. Tried HP no joy. Tried STAPLES "go to HP" You large organisations arn't making it easy for your customers. Please help! before you close me down and my three children get a fail in their course work.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 9:38 PM

Answers

• Chris:

That's very odd. HP should have packaged a recovery CD of some sort with your Laptop, or Staples should have provided it with the HP Laptop.

Note, you can use another retail CD to install your copy of Windows (just the CD media), but you must use YOUR COA Product Key (otherwise both you and your friend would probably be found "non-genuine").

The upgrade software should be coming soon. :)

Thursday, May 4, 2006 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hello Chris:

To help you verify that you are using genuine Windows, Microsoft offers a quick and easy online process called validation.

Validation takes only a few moments, and enables Microsoft to create a match between your PC's hardware profile and your 25-character Product Key (located on the Certificate of Authenticity), which Microsoft stores and checks against future activation and validation attempts. We do this to ensure that your Product Key is not used by another person in a malicious manner, such as activating a counterfeit or non-genuine copy of Windows.

Validate Now

Hope this helps,

Greg

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 10:11 PM
  • Greg,

Have done this , unfortunately I am automatically ided as not genuine and signposted to purchase new key. Just feel that I have already paid for this product and through no fault of my own I cannot continue to enjoy the product I originally purchased. Is there anything I can do to remedy this ? are HP able to help ? thanks for you speedy response

chris

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 10:42 PM
  • Chris:

Whats the validation failure message you are recieving?

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 10:58 PM
  • Chris:

I'm sorry for the problems you're having. I recommend filing a counterfeit report about the current software you have on your system. http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

We have this program in place so customers won't have to pay for getting genuine when they have already paid for what they thought was genuine when they purchased their computers. 

I hope this helps,

Greg

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 11:02 PM
  • I am getting the volume licence key response. Unfortunately neither the retailer or HP are able to assist me. Thanks for your speedy and efficient response though. I am all for microsoft dealing with piracy its just a shame is also effects so many people how have bought a genuine product, probably have very little knowledge of computer system and therefore went the route I did. Quality system, quality machine and quality retailer. Perhaps you could feedback the need for an obvious link for VLK and get some of the VLK providers on board. I am sure that this will cause Microsoft some damge, however I am very grateful for your help and will follow the advice you have given me.

Just in case this is not resolved how long do i have before we cannot use the system?

Ps its good to see somebody who is prepared to take time to explain things, well done

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 11:32 PM
  • Chris:

Could you run this tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 and see if the product key (well, the last 15 digits) match your COA? (Coa sticker on your machine or media should have been given to you with your machine)

Being that you purchased your computer from HP/Staples, I'm surprised there would be a VLK on your machine.

Have you taken your machine to a repair shop?

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 11:40 PM
  • Phil,

My machine blew the power unit within the warranty period and I HP sent a courier to collect it , it was repaired by HP and returned three days later. That was two years ago.

But I have run the check as you suggested and it reports a blocked VLK that bears no resembelance to the one on my MS sticker on the back of the box.

Have also completed the on line form as suggested.

what now?

thanks again

Chris

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 11:53 PM
  • Chris:

I'm guessing you have a genuine copy of Windows with you? (Well, the CD) - HP itself may not have repaired your machine, but the shop they hired may have been using a Volume License Key to reinstall Windows (illegally).

Do you still have the CD?

If so, we recommend reinstalling Windows and using the Product Key with your COA, since they do not match at all. You can reinstall "on top" of the old copy of Windows (renamed Windows.Old when you reinstall), and you will have access to your old files. However, you'll have to reinstall some programs.

We're currently underway developing a tool that will allow you to simply upgrade your system to your COA sticker - however, there is no timeline for this right now that I can release. Because of potential hacked binary files and open security issues that may have been created to bypass WGA (by the shop that worked on the computer), we recommend reinstalling Windows. I know this isn't the user preferred method, but that's what we recommend at this time until our upgrade-program is created for non-WGA Kit users.

Our new program (underway) will be checking for hacked binary files and fixing them as it runs through. It will be free. But again, theres no schedule for it right now ("soon" is what I know).

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 4, 2006 12:14 AM
  • Phil,

The only CD I got with my HP system from staples was the 2003 works suite.

Everything else was pre loaded.

I have completed the counterfeit report with MS and emailed HP.

I guess I will just have to sit tight for the update kit for non WGA users.

The effort and time you and greg have put into my issue is very much appreciated I feel that I at least understand my situation now, just got to get it sorted!!

thanks

chris

Thursday, May 4, 2006 12:40 AM
  • Chris:

That's very odd. HP should have packaged a recovery CD of some sort with your Laptop, or Staples should have provided it with the HP Laptop.

Note, you can use another retail CD to install your copy of Windows (just the CD media), but you must use YOUR COA Product Key (otherwise both you and your friend would probably be found "non-genuine").

The upgrade software should be coming soon. :)

Thursday, May 4, 2006 3:30 AM