Windows 7 64 bit with Aventail VPN backup fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an issue with Windows Home Server that I've spent days looking for a solution to on Google.

I have two PC's running Windows 7 64 bit that back up to a Windows Home Server. Both PC's have stopped backing up with an error telling me to run a chkdsk. This, however, does not fix the problem. After some trial and error I have narrowed down the problem to the Aventail VPN client (the 64 bit version of the client) installed on both machines.

A co-worker, I learned, is having the exact same issue.

As a side note, uninstalling Aventail doesn't fix the problem. However, if I format the drive and do a clean install (without Aventail) it backs up fine. After installing Aventail it fails again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:30 AM

Answers

• Aventail may install a firewall which is interfering with the Windows Home Server backup feature (or it might be configuring your Windows Firewall). Or it may be the virtual network adapter which is causing problems. While the specifics of configuring the Aventail firewall is outside the scope of this forum (assuming that's what the issue is), you can learn what ports are required for Windows Home Server from this technical brief.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:13 PM